vase

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

vase

Post by martin54 »

I cut the Coral Inlay vase project today but something seems to have gone very seriously wrong, haven't quite got it figured out yet but I think I have narrowed it down to one of four possibilities

1. My machine's calibration is way out.
2. I used the wrong post processor.
3 I have been reading far to many of Scott55's posts
4 After my accident I was given some Japanese blood
rose vase.jpg

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: vase

Post by mezalick »

What's wrong,,other them your picture has a measuring tape with metric measurements..
Sorry Martin,,I had to say that.. :D

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

HEY! :) :)
How big is it supposed to be Martin?
Is it the scale you're talking about?
Haven't looked at that project.
Like Michael said.."What's wrong with it"?
scott
Oh...What wood?
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Yer teasin us

What is wrong

And BTW - what do you mean Japanese blood?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

It has inches on it as well as mm Michael :lol: :lol:

Scott the original vectric project was 8 inches in height, I used the original size for the one I did in Yew with a model on rather than a filled vcarve.
It's Oak Scott, good old Scottish grown oak :lol: :lol:

Leo, come on the Japanese are well known for making everything small :lol: :lol: :lol:

vases1.jpg
vase2.jpg
vase3.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

mezalick wrote:What's wrong,,other them your picture has a measuring tape with metric measurements..

Michael
I'm with Martin!
Big Bang Theory wrote: Penny: I'm sorry, honey, I don't know milliliters.
Sheldon Cooper: Ah. Blame President James "Jimmy" Carter. He started America on a path to the metric system but then just gave up. He wonders why he was a one-term president.
:D
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the comparison pics Martin (I thought it was something like that:)
Scottish Oak looks different than our White or Red...Nice!
So....Did you use a .01mm Ballnose at .001% stepover :D :D :D
NICE little single bud Vase!
scott
Funny, I went to Epcot Center after a Beemer 85mph "flying lesson" (on crutches and moving slow) and visited the Chinese Pavillion and spent the afternoon looking at some of their miniature carvings and was absolutely awestruck.....probably why I love small intricate things so much. I can still remember some of them!
Last edited by scottp55 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

LittleGreyMan wrote:
mezalick wrote:What's wrong,,other them your picture has a measuring tape with metric measurements..

Michael
I'm with Martin!
Big Bang Theory wrote: Penny: I'm sorry, honey, I don't know milliliters.
Sheldon Cooper: Ah. Blame President James "Jimmy" Carter. He started America on a path to the metric system but then just gave up. He wonders why he was a one-term president.
:D
At least they have stuck with the one system :lol: :lol: In the UK we still have a combination of metric & imperial units, I might go in one shop & buy a metre of string & then in the next buy a pint of milk :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the RN an an engineer I had to be able to work with both as most workshops had a combination of metric & imperial machines, you could have 2 identical looking lathes (from a distance) sitting side by side but one would be metric & the other imperial. Some people I know couldn't adjust & would have to use one or the other so I guess I was lucky in being able to work with either.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Scott it was my idea of a little bit of humour, I assumed that most would have seen the original vectric project by Michael Tyler (got that wrong didn't I :lol: )

European oak does seem to be very different from your white & red oak, it machines quite well, that is straight off the machine & only had a quick brush over with a very soft brush to remove any loose sawdust. I tend to use it quite a bit as it's easy for me to get at the sawmill I buy my wood from.

I used a 1.5mm ball nose for the finish cut but think I should have actually gone with a 1mm, the detail in the rose model isn't as good as I would have liked, will probably cut another one :lol: :lol:

The original project had 4 parts glued together, front back & 2 middle pieces to give it the correct depth, this is just a back & front part & I have pocketed out the back of both pieces to hollow out the inside.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Martin, Just for kicks and giggles...duplicate the toolpath and plug in a 30degree(or steeper) engraving bit with a small flat and 20%stepover and preview after the 1.5mm BN.
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Scott I keep meaning to try an engraving bit for small models having looked at some of the stuff you have done, that's actually why the reference to reading to many of your posts came from :lol: :lol:

Are they a generally the sort figures you would use? 20% seems a bit high, do you not need to use such a small stepover if using engraving bits?

I have engraving bits down to 10 deg, most have either 0.1 or 0.2mm flats so no problem finding a bit to cut with :lol: :lol:

Sorry Michael M I mean engraving bits with flats of 0.0039" or 0.0078" :lol: :lol:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

No Martin,
If it's entered as an engraving bit, then stepover is based on the flat size....you might even be able to go quite a bit higher, but I Hate sanding, so I've stuck with 20%.
10degree might not be needed for something like the Rose, but I'm looking into them for things like cliffs in the topo's I've got addicted to:)
Flat size determines detail and times usually....Like the last one I changed it to a .01" flat at the last minute because it was large enough that the .01"tip could get into all the nooks and crannies, and couldn't see a difference when I ran the .005"tip in preview. It halved the cutting time I was prepared for:)
Another several inches larger on these topo's and my 1/16 TBN will give all the detail needed(but it's 4X the cost so I won't use it on "tool blunting" woods.
Have fun Playing:)
scott
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I mentioned on another thread that although it was pretty easy for anyone to cut a 3d model using the roughing & finishing toolpaths it was far more difficult to figure out ways to do if efficiently if you want to look at ways to reduce machining times, this might actually be a good example for some experimentation :lol: :lol:
A lot of the model is a done shape so could be cut easily with a large(ish) tool with a higher stepover, the rose itself is the only bit that requires a very small bit to maintain detail. Will have to go & watch the user group meeting videos from last year on efficient toolpathing again & then look at setting up vector boundaries to isolate the rose or rest machining which I still haven't had a chance to play about with yet Happy Days :lol: :lol: :lol:

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I did not know Vcarve Pro has rest machining. Could you reference some tutorials that cover this

Thank You
Don

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Makingtoothpicks wrote:I did not know Vcarve Pro has rest machining. Could you reference some tutorials that cover this

Thank You
Don
It doesn't unfortunately Don but you do have the ability to set up vector boundaries in vcarve pro which should still improve machining times :lol: :lol:
Sorry about the reference to rest machining, forgot I had put this in the vcarve gallery

Have a look at this tutorial about efficient machining of 3d Don, it's from the 2015 user group meeting, there are also a couple of follow on tutorials that go with the introduction

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... g3D_1.html