Seeking 3d sign carving mentor

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mingra
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Seeking 3d sign carving mentor

Post by Mingra »

I'm a 3D artist and ZBrush sculptor looking to cnc carve some 3D signage on a Shopbot. I use vcarve pro currently but only for basic cutouts, nothing dimensional. I'm not interested in advice on using another application if possible. I want to stay in vcarve pro.

My 3D sculpt files are STL format and I would like to get one or two experienced gurus to help mentor me. I'm willing to create some custom 3D models or ZB sculpts to return the favor.

Basically here is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a sign project file with a 3 dimensional object in the center (no undercuts). What I need help with is understanding how to import and generate gcode properly, as well as setting up bit changes for rough and finish work.

I havent found any online tutorials that clearly walk you through the entire process from start to finish.

Any help is appreciated.
Michael

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Re: Seeking 3d sign carving mentor

Post by JoeM »

Did you look on the tutorial page for v-carve?
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html

Maybe this one in the middle of the page:

Importing Flower Model - Short
This video shows the process for importing a 3D model into the software then sizing and orienting the part. This model is then 3D rough machined, 3D fInish machined and finally a profile cutout toolpath is created.
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... 3D_GS.html

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Michael,

You don't need to generate nor import any g-code at all. You will be using the ShopBot Post Processor for all your tool paths ...the proper code is automatically created for you in VCarve - no fuss, no muss.

Watch the Vectric tutorials on how to import a STL model into your VCarve Pro layout (you can import ONE STL file per project in the latest VCarve Pro...unlimited in Aspire if you ever decide to upgrade someday).

I don't think you necessarily require a mentor, but you can always ask questions here if you can't find answers from ShopBot Support, your software manual and the excellent Vectric tutorials.

I want to see samples of your work in ZBrush. Do you have a website I can visit?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Mingra

Post by Mingra »

Thanks for the advice guys!

@Michael- Attached are a few examples of my 3D modeling ,and ZBrush sculpting work

I also teach ZBrush on Lynda.com for anyone who might be interested in learning how to digitally sculpt using ZBrush :shock:
http://ow.ly/no6N3039711
Attachments
Some examples of my 3D work. If interested in custom 3D work contact me: michael@SteamMakerFactory.com
Some examples of my 3D work. If interested in custom 3D work contact me: michael@SteamMakerFactory.com

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Michael,

Your work is outstanding. I definitely see a rising star in the CNC realm! (I predict you will want Aspire sooner than later so you'll have complete flexibility for your 3D projects!)

Thank you for sharing the photos.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Mingra wrote:Thanks for the advice guys!

@Michael- Attached are a few examples of my 3D modeling ,and ZBrush sculpting work

I also teach ZBrush on Lynda.com for anyone who might be interested in learning how to digitally sculpt using ZBrush :shock:
http://ow.ly/no6N3039711
Michael,

I purchased a series of ZBrush Tutorials from another "Michael" two or three years ago (teaching how to make a horse from a sphere). I had to check to see if it was you who created the tutorial, but it was a "Michael Knowland". In any case, I may be tempted to dust off my ZBrush and try some of your tutorials too! I really like the style of your models.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

This is the tutorial about importing stl & other file formats that Michael mentioned.

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... D_GEN.html

Some very nice work you have posted there, definitely looking forward to seeing more of your work once you start cutting your own models :lol: :lol:

Like Michael has said there is a lot of help & support on the forum, if you have questions just ask :lol: :lol:

Mingra

Post by Mingra »

Thanks for the kind compliments guys.

The tutorial links were helpful, just watched the flower one. Helpful but I'm looking also for tuts that show the project file being milled out of HDU foam.
Anyone making signs on the forum, it would be nice to connect.

@SailFL- I'm also located in Orlando. Let me know if you want to talk shop someday over coffee?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you are interested in meeting up with other vectric users & learning more then this might be of interest to you, especially where you are located.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24694

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Mingra wrote:... I'm also located in Orlando. Let me know if you want to talk shop someday over coffee?
Michael,

I hope you'll attend the Vectric User Group in Orlando this year! You will get a HUGE jump-start in your CNC 3D endeavors, plus connect with a bunch of us who will be there. I'm in Brunswick, GA...only about 3 hours-ish from Orlando. I'll be driving to the User Group and bring a lot of Vectric projects for the Show-and-Tell tables.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Mingra

Post by Mingra »

Oh that sounds awesome. I'm involved in quite a few cnc projects currently, none with 3D carving yet. Attached is one of my first cnc projects, a dog house.

FYI- I recently bought an X-Carve 1000mm for smaller projects but decided to keep my work on the Shopbot instead. Is there a Wanted/Sell section on this forum? I dont see one.
Attachments
My first cnc project made a month ago. Made from 1/2 baltic birch plywood.
My first cnc project made a month ago. Made from 1/2 baltic birch plywood.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Michael,

Your first project is certainly waay more ambitious than mine was! See the "Moose Sign" photo below...it was my very first CNC project (machined with the CarveWright CNC). My second CNC project was the Coca-Cola Sign for our game room...also done with my CarveWright. I said earlier I could see a rising star in you...I was wrong...you are definitely a Star already. Great first project. I can hardly wait to see your future projects!

If you are interested, you can see a bunch of my ShopBot and CarveWright project photos on my FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/carvebuddy/photos

All the ShopBot projects were created by me with Vectric Aspire or VCarve Pro software and carved/cut on the ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha BT48 CNC. (BTW, all the Vectric projects are provided as FREE downloads from the Vectric and ShopBot websites, if you want to run them yourself.)

As far as selling/listing your XCarve...I don't know where the best place would be to post it. I wonder if you contact the XCarve company if they would have some helpful suggestions.
Attachments
BeforeAfterMooseArrow.jpg
2_Coke_Sign.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Mingra

Post by Mingra »

Thanks Michael.

Here is another project I created using the same basic plans as the doghouse only in a smaller version and cut on a laser cutter.
I made it an Etsy DIY kit for sale. My wife did the painting.

Are all the project photos on your facebook your work? Really impressive stuff!
Attachments
birdhaus.jpg
bavarian_partsLayout.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Cool project, Michael! Great painting too!

Yes, I created all the projects. Thank you for the compliment!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC