Isolating model in dish

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Isolating model in dish

Post by Xxray »

Is there a way to isolate/extract a model from a v3d dish file ?
Doug

dldecker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Isolating model in dish

Post by dldecker »

maually draw a line around it and remove everything out side of selected area :mrgreen:
Dana Decker
Aspire 8 something
CaMaster Stinger I

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Maybe, seems to me would be a bit sloppy for anything intricate, say an animal with fur.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not much help I know but the ones I have bought have mostly been style A because I know that even though it may take me more time & effort I can put them in a dish if needed using the software :lol: :lol:

As the animal with fur & the dish are all part of the same model or component then I would have thought taking them out would not be an easy thing to do, I would have suggested manually drawing a vector around the outside but as you have already said with an intricate subject it could be a lot of work.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I bought this particular model long ago, well before I had any idea how to create a dish if I wanted to, so I got the dish and now regret it.
I know they want you to buy multiple versions so I wouldn't expect them to make it easy to separate the two ,, The dish models I make are separate components and can be turned on and off at will ... I think vectric basically bakes them into 1 component to make that impossible on their models.

Oh well, guess I'll try doing the best I can manually and see if I can come up with something presentable.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It's not the same file format as vectric software so it isn't so easy for them to supply as separate components Xxray, I asked a similar sort of question about the design & make models because I would have liked to have seen how the scenes were put together to help me understand how the various components were set out.
Yes I am sure they would like you to buy each version but I don't actually think it's a Vectric product, maybe not even produced using vectric software although I believe there is some relationship between the Companies.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

There is no 'easy' way to just remove the dish as they are one model. However its not too complicated to do it, the best method would be to approximate the dish (as a positive shape) by drawing a circle or ellipse the size of it then use Create Shape and dome it to a height that is the equivalent of the depth of the dish. Add that component and you'll get pretty close to flattening it out - try varying the angle/height of the dome to get more precise fit if you want. Once you've got it roughly flat then you can just crop out the model as suggested, you don't need to trace a vector though, try using the free eps outline of the A version of the model from the Vector Art 3D website to help you with this - this can be downloaded from the page for that particular model (if its still on the site)...then imported, scaled and used to crop the model outside of it. If there is anything untidy on the edge a quick-gentle sculpt should clean them up.

Cheers,
James

PS - Vector Art 3D and Design & Make are part of the Vectric group of companies. Although as Martin said the V3M format does not support multiple components so it is not possible to have them as separate bits...

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

True, they have any number of talented individuals making the models with various software I'm sure, but the .v3m [and others] format are proprietary to vectric and designed for use with their software.

Of course everyone here knows that, not sure where I'm going with this, just thinking out loud. They try to maximize their return on any model, just like anyone else would, so it would stand to reason that they don't want their various type offerings easily modified.

I'll try my hand at separation, if that fails I might break down and just buy the model again in the style I need.
Doug

creek
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD 2.0

Post by creek »

I'm using Vectric Pro 8.5 and I'm trying to put a stl file (3d Model of Motocycle) I got off eBay into a dish and can do the model or the dish not able to put motorcycle in dish. Can this be done with Vectric Pro 8.5 or is Aspire required?
Any tips would be helpful.
Thanks
creek
creek@optilink.us
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

creek wrote:I'm using Vectric Pro 8.5 and I'm trying to put a stl file (3d Model of Motocycle) I got off eBay into a dish and can do the model or the dish not able to put motorcycle in dish. Can this be done with Vectric Pro 8.5 or is Aspire required?
Any tips would be helpful.
Thanks
creek
creek@optilink.us
Hi Creek,

Yes, you can place your Motorcycle in a Dish in VCP. Use one of the included clipart dishes, size it as you wish, import your STL, etc.

Here are a couple screenshots of the result of that process (using a cross STL instead of a motorcycle). Done completely in VCarve Pro 8.5
Attachments
VCP_Cross-in-Dish_Example.png
VCP_Cross-in-Dish_Example-screenshot2.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC