base height for 3d models - levels

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
marty.whitesel
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha base machine

base height for 3d models - levels

Post by marty.whitesel »

Hello all,

I went through the tutorial on the new 8.5 features specific to base height levels and followed along on my PC. However, when I change a base height at the top of a level, the 3d models under that level do NOT inherit the same base height. what am I missing.... is there a switch somewhere that needs to be turned on for this feature to work?

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Re: base height for 3d models - levels

Post by JamesB »

There is not a switch to activate this, it should just work. However the order of levels, components and combine modes will still affect how you might see the result in the composite model. It'll be much easier to help if you can post some screen shots of what your doing which shows your component tree or you can always email support@Vectric.com with the file and they should be able to help.

Regards,
James

marty.whitesel

Post by marty.whitesel »

See attached file for example of the issue.... thanks.

marty.whitesel

Post by marty.whitesel »

also I guess I am in the slow reading program because I cannot see where this forum is posting file attachments.... I browsed to the file and clicked the upload button, but I am not seeing where it is putting it.... hopefully you can see it....

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

Nope, it's invisible here too.
After you hit upload attachment, then browse and select your file, you then have to hit the "add the file" button.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

There's also a file size limit..if you go over, the file won't load...
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

marty.whitesel

Post by marty.whitesel »

Ok so I tried using firefox instead of MS edge browser ... also tried compressing the .crv file, but the compressed file is no smaller.... still 14 MB..... is that too large?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

For larger files you might try putting it in Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link to the file.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Way to big for the forum at that size, think limit is only about 2mb, any bigger then as highpockets has suggested a dropbox file with shared link is what some use. You can still send it to vectric support as James suggested at that size, always found them to be very helpful myself.
If the file contains copyright images then best to remove them if posting a dropbox file that anyone can download.

marty.whitesel

Post by marty.whitesel »

ok so I put my file in dropbox per your suggestion..... thanks

Admin Edit - I removed the link as this artwork should not be shared publicly due to its copyright.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni

Post by JamesB »

Hello Marty,
I removed the link to the file as its copyrighted artwork so should not be shared. I did take a look at the file though and it appears to be working correctly.

You have two Levels as shown in the image - the bottom one has a 0.1 base height and the top Level has a 0.2 base height. Those are applied just to the objects on each Level. So if you think of your Component tree working from the bottom up, you have a single component on the first Level which is having 0.1" added to it. Then the second Level has four components all of which are set to merge with each other that level has a 0.2 base height which is raising up all the objects on it. Then the contents of that Level are being merged with the first Level - giving you the composite model that you can see.

Not sure if I have helped explain it any better but as far as I'm concerned its working as it should - what would you expect to be happening that is not?

Thanks
James
Attachments
Wine_Example.png

marty.whitesel

Post by marty.whitesel »

I guess I must not be thinking about the way this works correctly..... it seemed that in the 8.5 enhancements tutorial that when you set a base height at a given level, all of the 3d models acquired the SAME base height setting - whether they are already in that list beneath that level or if they are moved under that level after the base height is set. and that is NOT what is happening to mine.

I am leaving for vacation today so I won't be able to continue this discussion until this weekend.... thanks for you continued support....

I will check in when I return....

marty.whitesel

Post by marty.whitesel »

Hello all,

I am back from camping. Hot weather, but fun with grandkids.

So I am still quite stumped about how these z height levels are supposed to work within levels..... please provide a bit more details / explanation....

Also - see my previous post about my understanding (or misunderstanding) about how this stuff is supposed to work

thanks

JamesB
Vectric Alumni

Post by JamesB »

When you set a base height for a level the composite of the models on that level are raised up by that amount. It is not added as a base height to each component - you would do that in the component properties themselves.

Another way to think of it is that within a level the software starts with the bottom component and then works its way up the list of that levels items combining them as specified (Add, Subtract, Merge etc.). The result of this then has the level's base height applied to it to raise it up with a positive base height or lower it if you use a negative value.

The composite model (what you see in the 3D view) is the combination of the result of each level being combined - bottom to top.

Hopefully that makes sense now?

Thanks,
James