Irish Pub Carvings

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tgm

Irish Pub Carvings

Post by tgm »

We are currently negotiating producing the interior of a true Irish Pub here in the US. Currently all pub interiors seem to manufactured in Ireland and shipped globally. I have been looking at VCW for the past few weeks and I think this will be of use to us on this project. Does anyone on the forum have any pub experience or artwork that we may be able to use?
Any good source of artwork for Irish Pubs....I know it's a long shot....But I'll ask anyway??
From the limited research I have done I think VCW is the right tool for this project. I ran some of the test samples with the free download and was impressed how well they ran on our Multicam, right out of the box.

Thanks guys,

Regards,

Thomas Marino
Edinboro Hardwoods
Edinboro, PA USA

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello Thomas,

Brands of the Worldis a good web site for vector clipart logos.

The attached image was created from logos downloaded from this site and hope it may be useful to you.

Regards,
Tony
Attachments
Guiness_Draught.jpg
Guiness Logo
(196.44 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Last edited by Tony Mac on Tue May 02, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Corporate logos

Post by Phil »

Is it OK to use a corporate logo such as Guiness or Starbucks? Is it necessary to get permission? I don't know how things are in England but on this side of the pond there's a lawyer hiding behind every rock.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Good point Phil,

The web sites terms and conditions state,

Use of the site material.

All logos are trademarks of their respective owners, and are offered as a convenience for their lawful use only, with proper permission from the copyright or trademark holders. Downloading files from this site does NOT give you authorization or permission to use the copyrighted logos without the specific consent of the copyright or trademark holder. Before you use, reproduce or distribute in any manner any logo found on this site, you must first receive the express permission of the holder of the copyright or trademark of that logo. Failure to obtain such permission is a violation under international law.

Tony

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Clipart to Vcarve

Post by tgm »

Tony,
I ran the Guiness files you sent me and they were crisp and sharp after machining. How did you convert the clip art logo so cleanly. I recently purchased the complete Vcarve and Photo V carve package and during the course of learning it I am unable to get crisp and clean vectorized images to import into Vcarve. I am using Inkscape to try and get a good bitmap to vectorize but everything always comes out 'cartoon'like it's not what i need.
I have read most of the forum posts and I am still having trouble getting clean images to carve.
Can anyone out there help me out??

Thanks,

Tom in PA

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Tom,

The designs from the Brands of the World web site are drawn very precisely and this makes them excellent for vcarving / engraving. If you are vectorizing image files then you ideally need black and white artwork, otherwise it gets very difficult to decide what regions / colour ranges to fit the vectorize.

Send a sample of the kind of images you are working with to - support@vectric.com and we'll see what is the best approach for you.

Tony

tommoser

Background Height

Post by tommoser »

On the Guiness Draught sign you have the one side with the letters cut into the material and the other side with the material cut back to allow the letters to stand proud.

How do you control which way it cuts?

Thanks,
Tom

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Just draw a shape around it, and Vcarve will produce letters that stand out.

Jason

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

On the one side you only have text. The other side has text and a border. If you have that vector image bring it into VCW and delete the border. Generate toolpaths and preview it. You will see how it changes.
I hope this helps
Dan
Attachments
text.jpg
text.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 3951 times

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hello.
Here is a close up of a samples board i knocked up about a week or two ago which shows off some styles of cutting available.
Regards
Bart
Attachments
IMGA2370.JPG
(60.02 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Carved background

Post by Phil »

I like the background. What size cutter and settings did you specify?

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Re: Carved background

Post by Wemme »

Phil wrote:I like the background. What size cutter and settings did you specify?
Hi Phil.
Texture will have to wait until people move to VCW PRO, however all the other tool cuts except tabbing is available in V2.

I am not saying this is a good setup but it was what i used to hack out the sign shown above.

The texture pass was done with a 25.4 mm (1 inch) ball nose linbide cutter.
The area was setup with a boarder + 1/2 tool diametre with a 2d clean up pass.

Settings where.

start depth = -5mm
Max cut length = 50mm
min length =59%
max cut depth =7mm
min cut depth = 50%
step over = 10mm
step variation +/- 25%
max overlap = 20%
min overlap = 47%
angle =0

Regards