Fine Engraving

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Rburke
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1

Fine Engraving

Post by Rburke »

Hi,

What wood species are best for holding fine detail in small engravings? Also, considering applying something like a lacquer or shellac to penetrate the wood fibers to hopefully keep from losing detail. Any suggestions on what works best? I am currently using a .005" tip, 30 degree v-carve bit running at 18,000 rpm @ 45 ipm. Depth at .01". Engraving soft maple.

Thanks

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Fine Engraving

Post by Xxray »

I like purpleheart for fine machining characteristics, though the one pictured isn't exactly small at 13x8".
Wenge is very good too if you can find it. Walnut is no slouch either, though that can vary by sub species.

sorry about the sideways, I am really getting sick of that and am so tired of having to play around with them to get them to view right on one forum to the next.
Doug

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

Thanks for the info. No problem with the picture. Very nice by the way.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

TREE is Hard Maple
MOOSE is Bloodwood
OLD TOWN is Black Walnut and surprised me.
All done with same bit as you, except a .01" tip.
thin CA STUNK
50/50 thinned Laq was pretty good.
Best was a 50/50 mix of polymerized Linseed/citrus thinner applied the day before, and carved the next day.
scott
Edit;
Run toolpath twice and there will be almost no sanding required. To preserve detail try a good stiff bristle brush instead of sanding on fine details.
A mini burnisher, or bamboo skewer can do wonders also.
Attachments
TREE 1 3.jpg
TREE 3 5.jpg
Bloodwood meeseses 1.16X.71.jpg
OLD TOWN OIL 3.jpg
OLD TOWN RIGHT.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

I appreciate the advice and the pictures of the beautiful work. Really incredible what can be done with these machines. I am going to look at trying hard maple with the 50/50 solution of linseed.

Thanks

Roy

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Oh, Watco Natural Danish Oil works well also, If you have problems finding Polymerized Linseed;
http://www.earthpaint.net/product_Linse ... Finish.php
IF you are really cutting only .01" deep, then it's imperative that wood be surfaced by your machine, and then sanded to finish grit before carving.
If VCarving TrueType fonts, then maybe go .02-.05" flat depth to avoid losing details.
IF bit is entered accurately as an engraving bit, then a 15-20% stepover gives an excellent pocket finish at the flat depth.
If carving full 30degree depth, then for fonts less than .2" height, it helps to drop down to 30IPM X,Y and slightly lower for Z to prevent bit from plunging in fast and pushing wood in delicate letters sideways and breaking the wood on previous letters.
Attachments
Bloodwood engravingbit .01 flat 2 passes left side.jpg
EBONY STRONGBACKED.jpg
Ryan putz.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

Cherry is not bad either, although black walnut is my favorite. I have never tried purple heart but like the picture. I like african mahogany but not really for 3-d. This army logo was 9 inches round but the letters in the Motto "This we will defend" are less than .2 of an inch and it still picked up the lettering using a 1/16 inch bit.
Attachments
nicola army.JPG

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

If you don't mind, what bit were you using to carve the tree in the hard maple?

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

Thank y'all for all the great advice and examples. I think I need to step up my game in the type of wood I am using, as well as change speeds, plunge rates, ... You are creating better detail with a larger flat tip. Still have a lot to learn.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Every one I had pics of was done with the Onsrud 37-23.
http://ballewsaw.com/onsrud-37-23-singl ... tools.html
Thanks,
scott
R.N.