Issues with imported stl files and cut depth

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dustcitydesigns
Model of CNC Machine: 4'x8' Shopbot, IQ Pro w/ 4th Axis

Issues with imported stl files and cut depth

Post by dustcitydesigns »

So I have attached the file below, but i'm having an issue with an imported stl file. The file came in just fine and everything looks great. The 3d model of the stl looks great as well, and this is a super simple cut, we just need it to be exact. However when we do the 3d roughing and 3d finish passes, the tool will not go all the way down to the table. It hits some imaginary plane and doesn't go any deeper past it. When we do a final profile cut, it will go all the way down to the table no problem. Never had this issue before and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
Attachments
O.penVapeDisplay.crv3d
(882 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Issues with imported stl files and cut depth

Post by Adrian »

I don't do a lot of 3D stuff so it may be something else but the first thing I noticed was that your model is not the same thickness as the material and the difference is at the bottom so it wouldn't cut all the way through the material on the 3D cuts.

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Adrian is correct, each component is different in size and are less than the material thickness.

Joe

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Here's my first wild guess as to what might be causing the issue.

Is it possible when you imported the STL model, it was not "floored" to the bottom of the model? (Maybe the original creator of the model set the modeling plane somewhere in the model body instead of at the base?)

The default is for the modeling plane to be centered between the top and bottom thickness of the model. If it was imported that way, then your modeling plane might be "stuck" inside the model (from top-to-bottom) instead of floored all the way to the base of the model, as you intend.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Mike,

I think that is part of the problem but if you look at each component each one has a slightly different height, it's random, not set at the same height. That would really make it hard to work with also.

Joe

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

It appears that when these 3D Models were imported the Models were created with the Zero Plane running through the middle of them.

When the toolbit reaches the edge of the model, it respects the zero plane where there is no model to cut and does not go lower.

If you reimport your component to a new file and when aligning it in the import screen, be sure to select Bottom as your option for Zero Plane in Model, it will get you the result you are looking for with your 3D toolpathing.

I hope this helps.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

CharlieP wrote:It appears that when these 3D Models were imported the Models were created with the Zero Plane running through the middle of them.

When the toolbit reaches the edge of the model, it respects the zero plane where there is no model to cut and does not go lower.

If you reimport your component to a new file and when aligning it in the import screen, be sure to select Bottom as your option for Zero Plane in Model, it will get you the result you are looking for with your 3D toolpathing.

I hope this helps.
Yup. That's what I figured.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC