Tried Something

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Tried Something

Post by JMD »

Tried carving on a curve. Oak slab from sawmill.
Attachments
LOG BEAR SM.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Tried Something

Post by scottp55 »

NICE:)
Now you got me wanting to try it :)
How did you decide on Z origin?
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

Now you got me wanting to try it :)
How did you decide on Z origin?
scott[/quote]

First figured out the radius of the slab. Then laid out an oval dish shape and put the bear in it. Hard to explain. Think it was more luck than anything. :o
Drew shape of slab, end view, then put the radius of dish shape over it and adjusted until I though it would fit. I am sure that there is a way to do this with math, but that is a little past what I can do. Hope this helps. And sorry I can't be more help. :?
John
Attachments
layout.crv
(103.5 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the .crv and the explantion John! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Chuck26287
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AutoRoute 8 Pro

Post by Chuck26287 »

First figured out the radius of the slab. Then laid out an oval dish shape and put the bear in it. Hard to explain. Think it was more luck than anything. :o
Drew shape of slab, end view, then put the radius of dish shape over it and adjusted until I though it would fit. I am sure that there is a way to do this with math, but that is a little past what I can do. Hope this helps. And sorry I can't be more help. :?
John
I've never tried it before, but would this have been an application for setting the Z-origin reference at the bottom of the workpiece instead of the top?

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

That looks good, and the bark works well with the design. How will you keep the bark on the slab ?
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Love projects like this that are a bit different from the normal, especially when you have to try & figure out where to put the piece on the table to get the machine to cut where you want. Thanks for sharing. I did a cake topper for someone a while ago where I had to do something along the same lines.
PaulRowntree wrote:That looks good, and the bark works well with the design. How will you keep the bark on the slab ?
Paul I did some centre pieces for my daughters wedding 2 years ago, she wanted them to look natural but I was worried that the bark would start falling off before the wedding. Covered them with a matt varnish which did darken then a little but it still looked pretty natural & the bark didn't start falling off. In fact they are still the same now as I have a couple of them in the workshop :lol:

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

Chuck26287 wrote:
John
I've never tried it before, but would this have been an application for setting the Z-origin reference at the bottom of the workpiece instead of the top?
Never tried setting the Z-origin to the bottom. Not sure you can do that with a CNC SHARK. Machine always goes to 0,0,0 at the start of a cut.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

[quote][/quote]
That didn't work like I planed
Last edited by JMD on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

PaulRowntree wrote:That looks good, and the bark works well with the design. How will you keep the bark on the slab ?
Never though about that. When my son-in-law's father, a wood turner, gets back from FL I wisk ask him about that. I did give it 2 costs of sprat poly. That might do something.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

JMD,
In my experience, IF the wood is dry and the bark is tight...it stays tight.
Both these pieces were KD 18 years ago and it's still tight except 2" on left of the moose blank(but the rest of the bark is keeping it in place).
And the Moose had been stuck in a 140F oven for an hour after carving to let linseed/beeswax saturate it.
I've got a bark on slab table 20 yrs old and that is still tight as well(all pics Maple though).
2 cents,
scott
Attachments
LOON BLANK.jpg
MOOSE SIDE BLANK.jpg
Moose 2 coats 2.jpg
R.N.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

I've done this a few times. What I do to get the curve close is figure out how wide my carving is going to be and then round up another inch. So in this case say 4 inches. Mark out the 4 inches on the end of the log or round and measure up to the edge below the bark. Then use the arc tool to draw that with your measurements, do a two rail sweep for the length, and add your carving. Hope that helps.
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

BillK wrote:I've done this a few times. What I do to get the curve close is figure out how wide my carving is going to be and then round up another inch. So in this case say 4 inches. Mark out the 4 inches on the end of the log or round and measure up to the edge below the bark. Then use the arc tool to draw that with your measurements, do a C for the length, and add your carving. Hope that helps.
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Thanks Bill K, but do not have the two rail sweep in VCarve Pro8. That would make things a lot easier. :)

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Very good point. But before I had Aspire, I did the same with Sketchup and cut 3d. :D
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

BillK wrote:Very good point. But before I had Aspire, I did the same with Sketchup and cut 3d. :D
I will have to look into that. Thanks.