Advent Santa Truck

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Advent Santa Truck

Post by Bob Jr »

I was looking for a refillable Advent Calendar and came across this idea http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/wooden-adve ... 01063-1000
I liked it so much, I made three. Instead of doors, I made drawers. A good idea until I started to realize 72 were needed...
Also, Thank you Dale for getting me interested in truck making.
Bob
1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Advent Santa Truck

Post by Savannahdan »

That's neat. It can be used as a toy and as a jewelry/storage box.
Thank you for sharing.

lsvien
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by lsvien »

Where did you get the Santa figure?
Mother Nature always bats last!

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

lsvien wrote:Where did you get the Santa figure?
I turned that little guy on my lathe.
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

The likeness is uncanny :D
However, yours is obviously not made from cheap MDF :lol:
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Well yours look a million times better Bob, followed your link to see what it was all about & the close up shots didn't look to good at all as far as quality goes, still I suppose it will make some people happy. Just out of interest how did you do the draws? Lot's of dovetail joints :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sure the other option would have been a lot better, 72 doors to fit with hinges & hang :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

martin54 wrote:Well yours look a million times better Bob, followed your link to see what it was all about & the close up shots didn't look to good at all as far as quality goes, still I suppose it will make some people happy. Just out of interest how did you do the draws? Lot's of dovetail joints :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sure the other option would have been a lot better, 72 doors to fit with hinges & hang :lol: :lol: :lol:
That would have been a load of dovetails!
Here's my method:
The parts
The parts
The fitting
The fitting
The bottom
The bottom
The number and kabloink spot for the bead were engraved with a 60V bit before gluing the drawers together.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Jr on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

[quote="Ms Wolffie"]The likeness is uncanny :D

...to me, or to Santa? :wink:
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

I grew up with an Advent Calendar every Christmas so I really like this little project. Might have to get busy and reintroduce this idea to the wee ones for the true meaning of Christmas (not sure Santa will be part of it though! Maybe Joseph and Mary driving the truck to Bethlehem...) Thanks for the great idea Bob!
I'm thinking the drawers could be pocket cuts (rounded inside corners aren't so bad) in a 2x6 and then cut into individual drawers on the table saw to make the whole thing quicker to build. Gonna have to play a bit with this one a bit!

Mike :D

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

mikeacg wrote: (not sure Santa will be part of it though! Maybe Joseph and Mary driving the truck to Bethlehem...)

Mike :D
...And, they stopped to pick up three wise men who were hitch hiking to the same destination? I'm pretty sure it must be in the Bible someplace, sort of.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Is that the story where the truck stop motel was full ???

Bob, something I have done in the past when making boxes which might have worked for the draws is to draw rectangle the size of all 4 sides added together & then place lines where the corners are. Profile cut on the lines with a 90 deg bit almost right through the material & then cut out the rectangle. It then just folds into the right shape :lol: :lol:

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

Martin,
You may be right about the truck stop. I'll have to study a little more to verify that obscure fact.

I have used miter folding for other projects. A 91V works best though. I guess that between the two methods, I like the one I used.
I might try folding next time.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard

Post by mikeacg »

You guys are killing me! We could do a Christmas cartoon!

Not sure how big the drawers are supposed to be but here's what I was thinking to simplify their construction:
Attachments
BoxLayout.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

mikeacg wrote:You guys are killing me! We could do a Christmas cartoon!

Not sure how big the drawers are supposed to be but here's what I was thinking to simplify their construction:
I don't have a lot of z height Mike so don't tend to have much thicker stock, don't really do a lot of woodwork other than on the cnc. It would reduce overall time I would think, extra machining time but then no glue up. Extra cost for materials though I would think.

As for the size I guess that is down to how big you want it to be overall, how generous are you feeling lol

Bob thanks for the info on mitre folding, will have to look about for a 91 deg bit, glad I mentioned it now lol, I use a variety of different methods depending on the job but for this with so many to make I thought that might be a quicker method than the one you used, still pretty new to a lot of this so maybe iy wouldn't be quicker

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard

Post by mikeacg »

Point taken Martin! I have a pile of 2x material (1 1/2" thick) left from my shop building project so materials is not an issue and at 1 1/2" thick Z shouldn't be a problem for most of us - until we try to carve the numbers on the ends (I'd probably laser those anyway). The truck Bob posted seemed pretty large so I was kind of looking at my cargo box being about 11 1/2" long and 6" high and 8" wide. I'm just thinking of where my kinfolk would have room to put the truck amongst their decorations for the holidays...

I'm in the middle of getting the new shop wired and insulated before the cold hits so won't have an opportunity to play with this until next week but I'll try to bang out a few test drawers just to get a feel for it.

Mike