Hagrid Themed Media Cabinet

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Hagrid Themed Media Cabinet

Post by dealguy11 »

The story - a friend who does high-end audiovisual systems was hired by a customer who has built a round stone hut shaped like the one Hagrid lived in in the Harry Potter movies. This will be his man cave and will be decorated with all kinds of fantasy-related wall hangings. The furniture is antique Black-Forest oak, heavily carved. My friend suggested to the customer that he needed a media cabinet that fit into the decor and suggested he knew someone who could make it - me. He suggested that I make it Hagrid-themed (Hagrid's pets were all monsters - 3-headed dog, dragon, spider, etc.). I mocked up a prototype in Sketchup and Aspire and showed it to the customer and that was the end of the negotiation.

Cabinet is made of rift white oak. I think rift oak carves better and the grain interferes less with the carving than plainsawn. The dragon and spider were straight from the VectorArt 3d catalog. I did some major surgery on a different dragon for the handles, and came up with the dog myself. The twist columns on the corners were laid out in Aspire -- 2 rail sweeps with 3d carving for the basic spindle portions, and 2d spiral toolpaths with a profile cutter for the barley twists. My son and assistant did most of the fabrication and assembly - my main contribution was the design and the carvings.

Probably should have waited until this was in place in the customer's hut to take pictures but this was a fun project and I thought I'd share now.
Attachments
20151027_115215_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20151027_111655_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20151027_111643_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20151027_111911.jpg
20151027_111922.jpg
20151027_115400_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

Re: Hagrid Themed Media Cabinet

Post by scottart »

crazy cool piece, very nice craftsmanship and great art work. . he should be thrilled. update pictures of this in the stone hut please...

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Great design and execution. I would personally be concerned that something might jump out at me if I opened the cabinet door...

Angie

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

Very nicely done. Thoroughly impressive.

Gordon

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

Very cool, Obviously a lot of thought. well done!