Opinions on this pre built cnc machine please

bluey

Opinions on this pre built cnc machine please

Post by bluey »

Hi everyone.

I recently posted a topic on a pre cut cnc machine made out of plywood. After a few respones it showed that its best not to rely on a wooden built one. Ive now found a metal one which id like your opinions on please. I do need a cutting area of 8ft x 4ft, also is you know of any more ready made kits please post a link.

http://www.routoutcnc.com/z90router.html ( Z90XXLSP model at bottom of the page )

P.S I will need a pre built one as i havent got the time to build one myself from scratch. Ill be cutting mdf / wood for furniture making ( beds , wardrobes , desks etc )

Thanks
Jerry

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Opinions on this pre built cnc machine please

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Dunno what you plan to do.... looks like it could be a great machine for engraving and things like that but wouldn't work efficiently for heavier cutting like cabinet making IMO.

FastEddie

Post by FastEddie »

I highly recommend you look at shopbot tools. As an owner user of one of their machines I am somewhat partial, but I am sure it will serve you better than the machine in the link you posted.

woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hi Bluey,

I have the Z90LP and have found it to be an excellent machine.

The build quality was far better than I expected considering the price differential between these models and other comparative machines.

They are very solid and heavy and have been more than capable of cutting the things I have asked of it. It is possible to remove the mdf baseboard enabling deeper items to be cut.

The company were very quick to answer my many queries, and arranging delivery was very easy.

The machine was delivered on the time/day specified with no drama and was up and running in 30 mins in my lounge (new toy and needed to check it - much to the wifes disgust).

In summary it was a good buy for me and will last along time and due to its construction I will hopefully extend it size when funds allow.
V Carve Pro Cut 3d

woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Forgot to add that I use the machine on a hobby basis as opposed to a commercial one.
V Carve Pro Cut 3d

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi Jerry
I looked at the pictures of parts coming off the machine. Three of them I won’t have posted if I was trying to sell these machines. Here is the one that concerns me. The steps on the bottom of the pocket and the profile cut I have the arrow pointing to. The router motor doesn’t look like it is mounted to the machine all that well and may be why those cuts are bad. I would talk to the company and tell them what you want to do. Perhaps they could give you the names of a few people doing that type of work with their machines and you could watch one in action.
Dan
Attachments
Machine.jpg
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

cimbian

Post by cimbian »

Still a newbie myself.

I considered this machine when making my decision but I went for the S-720 from Heiz in Germany (search for cnc-step).

I chose the Heiz machine for things like dual motors on the X axis, Leadscrew drive, quoted repeatibility between the two systems (0.1mm vs 0.03mm), CE certificate.

That said, I found RoutoutCNC to be very responsive and very helpful when I spoke to them.

Regrets? I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention... almost! I bought WinPC-NC USB with mine but am regretting this as it is very quirky and because of this feels limited, and their website doesn't help being all in German. I think Mach 3 may have been better.

My purchase came with a free copy of ConstruCAM 3D but, frankly, it is horrible. I'm glad I bought VCarve Pro otherwise I don't think I would have produced anything so far.

Hope it helps.

Steve.

jhop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by jhop »

I haven't seen Jim McGrew answer this yet but after shopping for almost 2 years, Camaster seem to be a very good choice. Now all I have to do is find a sack of money.

Jim

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

thanks jim

i have refrained from machine reccomendations here on vectric as with this being a software specific forum and that vectric is basically in the business of selling software to all end users no matter the size, type of machine, quality, hobby or commercial. have i done this, yes, yet i am not sure i want to again unless vectric opens the doors to it and i pray they don't. i certainly have no desire to be biased by machine type on the help i get and give here on the forum!!!

my recomendation is always go see the machines, meet other owners, make the cnc company produce a part with it that you wish to make, make them show and how they intend to help you with it. it is no secret we love our cnc machines around here, hang we are actually kinda addicted!!! cnc owners love to show off thier machines

bring involved with the beta team has been a great experience, one i cherish, as not only have i been able to learn software but it has raised my general knowledge of computers and all types of machines, the largest problem i see is what would happen if one got a recommendation and the machine experience went sour (and it does for some) there are plenty of discussion forums for machine owners about machines, i watch camheads.org , letstalkshopbot.com , and cnczone regularly, the is a cnc zone type forum for england and europe as well (can't remember the name but it is posted here somewhere) one other problem is how much dissussion space would be taken up on the regular aspire and vcarve forums. there is a hardware section and a gallery of machines thread on the forum for some of this stuff yet i would hate to see some of the dirty tricks and language that can come with cnc purchasing on vectric and with a melting pot of end users who is to say what machine works for whom on this forum, the results are in the work produced and the machines that the end users own, cnc machine companys are very passionate about the machines they build, some providers will even resort to creating ficticous members to reccomend the machines. this is one forum i feel safe from that!!

although ya'll are always welcome to come to my shop and see the machines i use!!

jim
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

jhop wrote:I haven't seen Jim McGrew answer this yet but after shopping for almost 2 years, Camaster seem to be a very good choice. Now all I have to do is find a sack of money.

Jim

although i am glad we share this!!!
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

bluey

Post by bluey »

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the input you sure know your stuff when it comes to cnc machines. I think to please you all i have scrapped the idea of a wooden machine and this latest pre built metal package. I always hear the name shopbot but these machines are out of price range for me. Another popular one is Mechmate but havent an idea of cost to build ( which i couldnt do myself anyway ) so am i right in thinking i go to Mechmate website , join the forum and buy the plans then take then to an engineer for a quote on them making it for me??
Jerry

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

raetter
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by raetter »

My husband built me a plywood CNC. So far it's been great we are just having a hard time finding out we want to do brackets to hold the wood down. The latest thing we did was to put MDF on top of the plywood just to be able to screw the board down to it but I don't really like doing that because we then have to cut out the screw holes afterwards. And we can't use clamps that I can see because it gets in the way of any moving parts. So we are still trying to come up with something on that. We have had to replace a couple of the ACME SCREW Flexible Couplers and not long after we got everything done and started using it we had to replace one of the stepper motors but other than that it has been so fun learning how to use it. I have never had any kind of experience on one of these things or have I ever used programs like Vcarve and Mach but the fun I am having learning them now is awesome. I have made several signs already and my husband has been trying lately his luck at 3d stuff. He made a 3d sword just last weekend and it was so cool. So a homemade plywood CNC can't be too bad. :)

Art Mann
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Post by Art Mann »

Those of you who are recommending US made machines should note that the original poster is from the UK. The shipping cost on a Camaster Cobra, Stinger III, Shopbot or any other 4 X 8 foot machine is probably prohibitive in comparison to the purchase of local machines. This is especially true given that the OP is looking for a hobby machine.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's surprising how cheap it is to have an 8x4 shopbot shipped to the UK. It was less than 5% of the purchase price to have mine sent by air and would have been cheaper by sea.

I was in a similar position to Bluey when I first started in that there was little choice of CNC machines in the UK at anything like a sensible price. In the end I built a wooden one from a kit shipped over from the US and that was a fantastic intro into CNC. A couple of years later I upgraded to a Shopbot 8x4 PRS Alpha.

I considered the Mechmate but rejected it due to the weight on my suspended workshop floor and I also looked hard at the Joes CNC machine. I think if I was to go down the DIY route again I'd look at the Joes machine.

There may be some better priced machines available in the UK now with decent support since I last looked back in 2009 but I admit I haven't really kept up with the UK scene hardware wise as the Shopbot is fine for me.

krugshouse
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Blackfoot v4.2, VCP 8, Mach 3

Post by krugshouse »

I recently posted a topic on a pre cut cnc machine made out of plywood. After a few respones it showed that its best not to rely on a wooden built one.
I have a Blackfoot 4' x 8' wooden machine that i got 1 yr ago after having a 2' x 4' wooden machine and both have performed great. the only problems i ever had was a software issue with Mach3 and i resolved that. since then my machine runs great. i have heard that even with metal machines you have to check all your bolts which is what i do too. my 4' x 8' wooden machine was less than a Shop bot 4' x 4' machine. it seems its all about the setup. thanks for listening. have a great day.
Have a safe machining day