Controlling bit depth, another newbie question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Controlling bit depth, another newbie question

Post by Barry Anderson »

I am attempting to carve a scripture verse in wood for a friend at church. Set it up using a 60* bit. In the tool database, it has .200 as the pass depth.
When I ran the program on a scrap piece to test, some of the letters did not cut completely. When looking at the toolpath list, and placing the cursor on the toolpath, it says that the maximum depth is .1104. How do I increase the depth of the cut? As always, thanks for helping a new user out.

H. Barry Anderson

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Controlling bit depth, another newbie question

Post by tonydude »

Under your toolpaths you put a check mark at the flat depth to control the depth of cut and put in a number for how deep you want to carve. look at attachment

Tony
Attachments
flat depth.JPG

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by KWiK »

That .1104 is as deep as the V bit can go without going wider than your selected lines or font. So if you want it deeper, you will have to enlarge the font so that it is wide enough to allow the bit to go that deep.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

tonydude wrote:Under your toolpaths you put a check mark at the flat depth to control the depth of cut and put in a number for how deep you want to carve. look at attachment

Tony
I did that on one test that I did and it had a flat depth in the bottom and not the 'v'. I guess more experimenting is the key to learning.
Thanks
Barry

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

KWiK wrote:That .1104 is as deep as the V bit can go without going wider than your selected lines or font. So if you want it deeper, you will have to enlarge the font so that it is wide enough to allow the bit to go that deep.
Will try that as well. Guess I will have to try and balance the font without getting the board to large.

Thanks
Barry

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VCarve doesn't "Color outside the lines":)
Use a steeper angle VBit(perhaps copy your vbit and try 30,45,60 degree angles to see which are most usable for you)/ check the "Bold"option/or use a different font(there are massive differences between fonts)/perhaps use the single line fonts and set your depth(but styles are limited and doesn't leave "Sharp" corners).
Lot's of options, but takes time,playing, and tutorials :)
Searching Forum helps a lot!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you want to make sure your table is level and that the thickness of your material is uniform. If either one varies, it can affect the width of a v-carved line.

Angie

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you want the letters to have a "V" shape & not have a flat bottom anywhere then you need to play about a bit with a variety of different things. Since vcarving is based on the width between vectors there are a number of things you can do if you want to carve deeper or even shallower. Firstly changing the bit angle will will affect how deep you carve so a 30 deg bit will carve deeper than a 60 which will carve deeper than a 90 deg.
Secondly as we are talking about text the size you set the text at will make a difference so the larger the characters the deeper it will carve, of course it is not always practical to alter the text size so a third option would be to look at using a different font for the project.
Have a play about using different fonts, sizes etc & then preview the different results. One of the things I like about the software is that the preview is very very accurate so you can get a good idea how your project will look before you go using any materials what so ever.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to do some test using different fonts and the 60* and 90* bit that I have. This forum and the folks on it are a tremendous help for me. It appears that when I bought a CNC machine, I also joined a "family". Thanks for letting me in.

H. Barry Anderson