Plunge

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Plunge

Post by seabreezr »

Hi all,
I have probably a simple question? lately when I am doing 3d's 3 times this happened to when it starts plunges straight down and across and even my clips wont hold my wood in place. In my toolpath I use 100 for feed rate and my plunge rate is 30. Should I use ramp plunge move in rough stage? and what distance should this be? I am killing my bits from this deep plunge. I haven't done 3ds in a while and now I forgot and really could not find exactly what I am looking for in the forums. So thank you all truly for all help :oops:

Seabreezr :)

seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Plunge

Post by seabreezr »

Wow 63 views and no response? that is not good. but thanx anyways.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

You can limit the depth of cut on a roughing pass by changing the depth of cut for the appropriate tool. Ramping would help ease into deep cuts, again presuming you are referring to roughing cuts and not finishing on a 3d contour.

Angir

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

try making your depth of your cut equal to the width of your bit, at 100 ipm you clips should hold it fine, and this will give you a starting point to get more aggressive with your cuts.

Roy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I don't do 3D work but when ramping into a 2D cut the rule of thumb I use is making the length of the ramp three times the material thickness.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

Chances are its in your tool path data base. What do you have you pass depth set at. I know that there are all kinds of rules on how much you can push your roughing tool pass, but i dont push mine and do primarily 3-d in hardwood. My pass dept is set at .07, feed rate of 3 inches per second and a 40% step over. Plus also to help with relief on the tool i use a ball nose end mill.

Does your preview look right?

seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman

Post by seabreezr »

Thank you all for responding. :D

Now if I use the ramp what is the normal distance that should be used? Yes, It is only for roughing when this happens.
I do use a .25 ballnose depend on the 3d itself sometimes I use a EM .25.
So Adrian your saying on 2d if the material is .75 you would have your ramp on 2.25?? that isn't much?

Thank you again.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Yep, that's what I do, seems to work ok for me but you might need to experiment as I've never had an issue with material moving. I do it because the maker of my spindle says it's not a good idea to plunge with it.