Latest plexi 3d

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Latest plexi 3d

Post by johnnydoughey »

Great work as always, Xxray...

I've attempted to do the 3D on plexi, but my machine's maximum's feed is about 150 ipm (I have reduction gears... 7.2 to 1... for more precision) and a milwaukee router with a minimum rpm of 10,000 rpms. I just added a mount for a dremel, so I will hopefully be able to cut plexi rather than melt plexi. :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, I'm curious... what rpms are you using at the feed speeds of 200 and 250 ipm. Also, do you (or other members) know of any sites which might have various ratios of rpms, feed speeds and bit sizes for good cutting for woods, plastics, etc.?

Perhaps the group might be able to come up with some good data to make a chart if we submit what is working for us on various material.
Just a thought...
Again, nice work indeed!
Bill McGuire

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Perhaps the group might be able to come up with some good data to make a chart if we submit what is working for us on various material.
Just a thought...
Again, nice work indeed!
Bill McGuire

Be more difficult to do that than you think Bill, not that I am saying it is a bad idea but there are so many variables to consider, I use the manufacturers recommended settings for speed, feed & material as a starting point & then fine tune from there, plenty of chip load calculators on the net as well to help but it will always come down to the actual machine being used to some extent & what the operator considers to be an acceptable finish.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I'd say that a good sharp bit is more important than feeds or RPM's, just run as fast as you can with slow RPM's as possible and should be Ok.
The code will only move so quickly with 3D anyhow, with alot of Z movement feed is relative.
Doug

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Post by usLEDsupply »

Sometimes when cutting or etching acrylic we spray some soapy water on it while cutting with a Windex bottle and it helps keep it from re-welding if you don't have a sharp bit or the speeds aren't fast enough

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

usLEDsupply wrote:Sometimes when cutting or etching acrylic we spray some soapy water on it while cutting with a Windex bottle and it helps keep it from re-welding if you don't have a sharp bit or the speeds aren't fast enough
Does that not give you a problem with chip extraction? I would have though it would be quite difficult to remove damp chips that were all stuck together, mind you my dust extraction isn't very good to start with, but maybe it wouldn't bother a decent system

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Post by usLEDsupply »

the only times i really do it are when i am carving a design into the acrylic or if i am cutting out small one off parts so i don't really know how the dust collector would handle it. if i am doing thick parts or larger runs i just spend the time to put a sharp bit in and adjust the feeds to get nice big chips.
if your bit has more than one or two flutes you may want to get an up-spiral one as the less flutes the better for low feed rate cutting

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

Excellent work, very well done
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.