Looking for some advice

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Looking for some advice

Post by antennasDIY »

Have become friends with the lady that cuts my hair. So she recently moved into a new shop and she wants to decorate the walls. Such as a large comb and scissors. So I said I could help with that with my CNC router. So I wanted to glean some advice from folks who have done this before.
I was thinking of MDF and paint it black or pine and again black paint. Good or bad with either?? Or silver paint as well.

Also I was wondering if folks would cut it in one piece and do some lines with paint or cut it in 3 pieces and just line them up on the wall?

The pic attached is what I am going to cut.

Thank you for any tips!!
Attachments
scissors
scissors

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by esteeme1 »

I would do it in two pieces and put a bolt in the middle so they can function as real scissors. Not that they would cut anything. But they would be more stable.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Post by signmarketingman »

get s sheet of black PVC (sintra) and cut it in one shot. All done. No paint. No sealing of mdf, nothing but pure profit. Its done forever.. And is tough that a fall will not kill it. Drop MDF and its life is over the instant it hits the floor.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Both good ideas. I'll look up black PVC, I don't think I can get it here but I'll look.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As signmarketingman says use a coloured substrate rather than spending time sealing & painting MDF, PVC, foamex, aluminium composite would all do the job, it's really just for a bit of decoration on the wall.

As for colour & style of scissors well that would depend entirely on how she was decorating the place.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I like the idea of the bolt in the middle to make them movable, you get something better and more novel for very little extra effort ... I think the hard part will be to create a taper for the cutting edges. Of course you could just cut 2d as it, but a blocky looking blade wouldn't look too ,,,, Sharp.
Doug