Latest plexi 3d

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Latest plexi 3d

Post by Xxray »

Haven't done one of these in a while, last one sold over the holidays and I don't like to be without at least 1 on hand.
Made out of 1.25" plexi, is about 8x13" and includes a matching plexi base.

Had a devil of a time [oops, no pun intended, really] making the base, I snapped 2 endmills trying and it usually is not that much of a problem, both endmills were new and I almost went into shoprage when the 2nd one snapped.
I figured maybe because the plexi was freezing cold it was extra hard and brittle, so I took a chunk in to warm up for a few hours, also reduced feed speeds from 200 ipm to 100 [You usually want a high feed rate when routing plexi to avoid heat buildup]. Worked like a charm, I made this base and another that I needed for a 3D gun, came out perfect not a single chip.
Fit was so tight I had to hammer it in, just the way I like it. This one I still have to buff out a few scratches, some are hard to see until it is lit up.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Latest plexi 3d

Post by scottp55 »

Xxray,
Another NICE one :)
Question; Is that base to be used as is, or inset into another hardwood base? Only reason I ask is I thought the electronics would show :?
Obviously I've never made on, but just curious.
I kinda like the 3D's better, but probably because I've seen personally so Outrageously beautiful gemwork done by some MasterCarvers in Quartz and Aquamarine in the '90's and it reminds me of them.
Love your work.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Post by pops1964 »

Great piece Xray , these mich winters do make things challenging in the shop . pop's
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Base is as is, seeing the strip not much of a factor. The base catches the LED beam and lights up along with the subject creating a pretty wild effect.
Sometimes I leave the edge frosted, not specifically to hide the strip but I like the frosted look with certain subjects.

Has been a pretty mild winter in general, but the last couple of weeks have been extra cold, and that is bound to have an effect on any materials left outside.
Doug

MTSO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: salecnc XJ1224

Post by MTSO »

Great work. I have a question, what type of cutter did you use for the 3d relief and how did you finish it do you polish it?.

regards

Brian

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Used a 1/32 tapered ball nose around 7% stepover, 250 IPM.

What I do for the edges is first run a pass on a belt sander, then medium grit with an orbital sander, then fine grit with a mouse sander. Takes only minutes and leaves the surface smooth as glass.
If I am leaving the edges frosted then my work is done, but usually like this one I go for the clear, I run the edges on my buffer and it turns them factory clear. If you don't have access to a good buffer then flame polishing will do, best to experiment on scrap first if you have never done it before to get a feel for technique required.

In this case I flame polished the model itself, MAPP recommended but propane will do in a pinch, thats what I used here. The key is, like spray painting, not to stop. Keep the flame moving, else it will scorch and ruin the project. It pretty easy to tell when it has had its tolerance of heat, so thats when to stop and let it cool down before making some more passes. If you don't, it will flash and burn, obviously a situation you want to avoid.
Doug

creek
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD 2.0

Post by creek »

Xxray wrote:Haven't done one of these in a while, last one sold over the holidays and I don't like to be without at least 1 on hand.
Made out of 1.25" plexi, is about 8x13" and includes a matching plexi base.

Had a devil of a time [oops, no pun intended, really] making the base, I snapped 2 endmills trying and it usually is not that much of a problem, both endmills were new and I almost went into shoprage when the 2nd one snapped.
I figured maybe because the plexi was freezing cold it was extra hard and brittle, so I took a chunk in to warm up for a few hours, also reduced feed speeds from 200 ipm to 100 [You usually want a high feed rate when routing plexi to avoid heat buildup]. Worked like a charm, I made this base and another that I needed for a 3D gun, came out perfect not a single chip.
Fit was so tight I had to hammer it in, just the way I like it. This one I still have to buff out a few scratches, some are hard to see until it is lit up.
This is great job. Where do you get the images to do the carving?
Thanks creek
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Doug

creek
Vectric Apprentice

Post by creek »

I assume you used the A style in the carving. I purchased their Sampler so far. Still working on it. Only completed the Lion head at this point.
Did you mirror image the cross on the back of the plexi?
Once again thanks for the help and direction I need to be going.
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Correct, A style.
Object was mirrored, necessary in this model due to lettering at top ,,, And object was subtracted in properties, as opposed to the "add to" you would use in wood.
Doug

creek
Vectric Apprentice

Post by creek »

Xxray wrote:Correct, A style.
Object was mirrored, necessary in this model due to lettering at top ,,, And object was subtracted in properties, as opposed to the "add to" you would use in wood.

Thanks
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

creek
Vectric Apprentice

Post by creek »

I forgot to ask what size is the acrylic? How thick?
Thanks
creek
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Creek,

He said it in the first sentence above. Made out of 1.25" plexi, is about 8x13" and includes a matching plexi base.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

kerry1150
Model of CNC Machine: 3050

Post by kerry1150 »

What kind of depth are you using for this kind of carving? I just tried a PhotoVcarve on acrylic, with absolutely no success. I tried a .1 inch max cut depth.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

kerry1150 wrote:What kind of depth are you using for this kind of carving? I just tried a PhotoVcarve on acrylic, with absolutely no success. I tried a .1 inch max cut depth.
PVC and 3D are very different, plus plexiglas is generally not suitable for PVC.
That said, some have had a degree of success doing it and there are a few threads on the topic, I personally couldn't offer any advice.
Doug