V Grooves and text too deep

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
wwoodworks
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus & Shopmaster 4848

V Grooves and text too deep

Post by wwoodworks »

I am Using Aspire 4.5 and I can't figure out why my v grooves and text are carving so deep.

I set the vectors for the v groove to 1/8" apart but it carves about 1/4 deep.
Text is also carving too deep and the lettering turns out unreadable.
The tool parameters appear 2 b o.k. ???

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: V Grooves and text too deep

Post by MarkJohnston »

It would be best if you could post the program or at least part of it so we could take a look at the settings as long as it doesn't contain any copyright information.

What angle Vbit are you using? 30, 60, 90 or something else. I assume you are using a Vcarve toolpath. Is the start depth set at zero and the flat depth unchecked? Are you zeroing from the top of the material and if so how do you set the Z zero? In the preview you can place the mouse cursor over the areas that are Vcarved and it will show the depth of the cut at the bottom of the screen. Check to see if that looks right, if that's right it's probably the machine causing the problem.

Mark

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Thank u Mark. Bit is 90, Using V Carve tool path. Start depth is zero, flat depth unchecked.
I am zeroing using a virtual zero touch plate. It is .375. safe Z is .25 and b4 I start the carving I check to make sure the Z height is .625, and it is.
I don't know what u mean by putting the cursor over the V carved areas. Nothing happens when I do that. Do u mean in Aspire or the machine control panel?

I tried posting the file & it is too big.

If I can't figure it out my problem I will downsize the file by taking out some of the other tool paths and try it again.

Wayne

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

wwoodworks wrote:I am Using Aspire 4.5 and I can't figure out why my v grooves and text are carving so deep
It is actually very easy to control the depth of cut for V Carving.

Simply “Check” the Flat Depth box and type the desired depth in the box.

This will restrict the depth of cut.

Joz

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Thank u Joz but that did not fix my problem.
Did as u suggested and it still carves as b4 with no change.
There is no way I can post this file. It is 5MB & this site will only allow 2MB.
Wayne

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

If you do not restrict depth, on a 90 degree v tool, the depth will be equal to the distance between the vectors, if I remember my math correctly. However, if your z zero is set in error, your v carving can be too shallow or too deep. Also, the material must be flat and square to the cutting plane.

Angie

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Does the cut appear wrong in the preview? If it appears right in preview but cuts wrong then something is off in your bit description. VCarving between lines 1/8" aparts should go no deeper than 1/16" with a 90 (45 degree) V bit.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Wayne,

In the preview area of Aspire if you put your cursor over the carved area the depth will show in the Z setting at the bottom right of the screen. It also shows the x and y location as you move the cursor around you can see the X, Y and Z change based on where you place the cursor. You can zoom in on an area if you can't see the bottom of the carving and place the cursor more accurately if you need to.

If the file is too big to post you can set up a "dropbox" on your machine and place the file in the dropbox. The dropbox is free to use and works really well. After you set it up you can post the dropbox address for that file and whoever wants the file can access it and download it.

Mark

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

wwoodworks wrote:Did as u suggested and it still carves as b4 with no change.
Wayne,

I do not understand. Look at the attach picture. I drew two rectangles the lines are 5 mm apart.

I selected a 90 Deg V bit.
On the first one I set the Flat Depth to 1 mm
For the second one I unchecked the Flat Depth

One can clearly see that difference of how the “Flat Depth” to 1 mm restricts the V Bit to a depth of only 1 mm while the next one cuts deeper.

Joz
Attachments
V Bit Depth.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As well as hovering the mouse over the preview you can hover it over the toolpath in the toolpath list and a tooltip box will appear that will show you the maximum depth the toolpath will cut to. If that's correct then the issue is outside of Aspire either with the wrong angle bit, incorrect Z setting or similar.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Good point Adrian. I always forget about that option. There's so many options in the Vectric programs it's hard to keep track of them all.

Mark

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Are you carving on a 3-D model? Did you check the box to apply the v-carve to the model surface?....just a thought...joe

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Thanks everyone for all your help.
It looks like the drawings in Aspire are correct and I now see how the z indicator works in the preview.
I will now turn my attention to the machine Z. The problem must be there.
I will post my findings.
Wayne