Update & Pics using Photo Vcarve to Relief Carve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

This is what I'm talking about. . . .

Post by TReischl »

Here is a sample I whipped up using a few new techniques. . . lots of mask work. . . .
Attachments
new-13.jpg
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Excellent work TReischl! I too have been working on this stuff. Been trying to teach myself some 3D modeling skills too to try to convince the wife to let me get Cut3D. Anyway...you may want to take a look at CrazyBump. It will make a grayscale map. Once it is made the outer areas need to be masked but great results can be had. Here is an example of what I did.
Damian
Attachments
TheMick.png
TheMick.jpg

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

and another quick one........
Attachments
bambi.jpg

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Post by joecnc2006 »

Dman i tried crazy bump today but did not get the same result, what steps did yhou use start to finish? and example of start image.

Thanks, Joe

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

This is Great! :D Finally a REALLY easy way to do this. :)

Treiscal, thanks for the advice, My posted model was 1.5" thick with about a 1mm DOC.....that explains it. Dont know how I overlooked those 'little' details! :roll:

I do have CorelDrawX3. Incidentially I'm doing a degree course at the moment on top of everything else, so I bought the discounted version :D I must print off the manuals, never got around to it so far.

I'll try that crazy bump program too when I get a chance to download it.

Thanks,
L8rs.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: This is what I'm talking about. . . .

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

TReischl wrote:Here is a sample I whipped up using a few new techniques. . . lots of mask work. . . .
Please do share the 'New techniques', that one looks very clean and an excellent model. :) ..... ?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Dman, I have had CrazyBump for a while. Neat stuff. I have not been using it for a reason. Now, I do not want to offend anyone, so right off the bat, I will say that CB is great for its intended purpose, and that is to create an illusion of depth from a photo, etc. However. . . . .

If you look at the results, they are not "models". An example of this would be a nose on a face. In a model, the nose would be elevated up from the face surrounding it and would be symmetrical on both sides. This does not happen in CB, instead, you get a deep cut on one side of the nose and not the same on the other side.

All that said, I think it works really good for complicated scenes, and would be terrific for creating the scenes you see on carved gunstocks, etc. It occurs to me that it seems to work best when there is a lot of detail and the depth of cut is kept pretty shallow.

I may just try a basket weave pattern using it!

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

woohoo! Someone else likes crazybump. check out this website. I'm still trying to work out "perfect" photography, but I've had some pretty ok results.

http://zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html

I posted on shopbot's list, but no one really seemed interested. Not sure why.

John

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

TReischl,
I would agree on the point about the "true" model. It does take some time in a photo editing software to come up with a good bitmap to use with crazybump. In the last image I posted, I just turned the bitmap to grayscale and took into crazybump. Those were the results. If I would spend some time and adjust levels I think it would come out pretty well. There is no magic wand that will take a bitmap and make it exactly what we would all like to see in one click of a button. I do believe that this method with some trial and error could become very good a making a model. I think some of the work you have done alreay proves how great the outcome can be. Crazybump is just another tool in which to get the job done. I just wanted to post it to let others know.
Damian

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

JS, not sure why they would not be interested either. . . hmmm. I looked over that website, very interesting stuff there. There is also a site that explains how to create your own laser scanner with no special equipment, other than a web cam, a straight line laser (is there any other kind?) and some free software. The site is: http://www.rob.cs.tu-bs.de/news/david

Well, back to the grindstone!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Its pays to play! I am having WAY too much fun now. The better half was off to the East Coast all week. . . and this is what happens.
Attachments
new-16.jpg

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

TReischl, if you find the david laser scanner interesting, you gotta check out their new website.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

They now have shapefusion (scan stitching) software available and they've improved a lot since the old website days. I've posted on their forum, and they've been very helpful. I need more time to play with the david laser scanner, but I have too many projects going at once right now.

I think there may be more hobbyists on this forum that are willing to play with new concepts.

Would you find a post about "how to get free us geological survey data then convert it into a gray scale height map with free software" interesting?

John

HayTay
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HayTay »

Great thread Treischl. Now if I could only remember how to spell your username without cheating and sneaking a peek or cutting and pasting. I have the T-r-l nailed down pretty well but the other letters in the middle keep moving around on me. One day. Keep up the good work. You've inspired me to learn more of the CorelDraw package I purchased awhile back.

jseiler wrote:I think there may be more hobbyists on this forum that are willing to play with new concepts.

Would you find a post about "how to get free us geological survey data then convert it into a gray scale height map with free software" interesting?

John
John, about the geological survey map to gray scale to 2.5D cutting... BRING IT ON. That sounds like it would be way cool. If you have any PICS of maps you've cut I would be more than interested in checking them out. What is the deepest map that you have cut (Z-axis) using this technique?

Don't keep up hangin' on,
HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your own success!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

HayTay, give those fingers a break and just call me TR, or Ted

HayTay
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HayTay »

Thanks, Ted.

I don't have a problem with my typing fingers, it's all in the brain processing department and all of the rules we had beat into it in 3rd grade English class. I before E and all that stuff.

BTW, great tag line. I get a chuckle every time I read it. Hmmm, maybe Alzheimer's is setting in. I hope not. Definitely not fun.

Cheers,
HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your own success!