An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Inlay Yoga Block

Post by llwood »

Yoga block 10.JPG
Yoga block 07.JPG
My sweetie, the yoga teacher, wanted a wooden yoga block. A yoga block is used the support the weight of some part of the body to moderate the stretch. For example, in a pose, if you can't touch the floor without putting too much strain on a muscle, you touch the yoga block instead. And you can orient the yoga block differently to create different heights.

I suggested some carving on the block, but she didn't want it textured. Since you're putting weight on it, she preferred it be completely flat. Therefore, I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn how to do inlays, and this is our first inlay project.

Each side of the yoga block has an inlay of my sweetie doing a different yoga pose, based on pictures I took of her. Each inlay is a different wood: walnut, cherry, mahogany, and purpleheart. The cherry isn't as much of a contrast as we hoped it would be, but the fact that the grain is going a different direction sets it off a little more.

Design by Andy, Cutting and finishing by Marty
Locust Lane Woodworking

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Inlay Yoga Block

Post by rscrawford »

Very nice. Excellent use of inlays. I like how you grain matched the box. Did you use a folding mitre joinery?
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

That's a beautiful job of inlay. It's something I'd like to try one of these days very soon. I think an inlay would look great on one of my fly boxes.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Thanks, guys. And Russel, there was no joinery used. The block is a solid block of ash with the inlays glued in.

--Andy

miopicman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built gantry type

Post by miopicman »

Very nice job. It has given me some good ideas for some spare 3 x 2 offcuts I was wondering what to do with. Thanks