Roller Stand View 1
Leg Vise View 1
Leg Vise View 1
Leg Vise View 2
Leg Vise View 2
Roller Stand View 2
Roller Stand View 2
Hello,

These projects were cut using the Wrapping/Spiral Layout gadget and the TreeSoft Threads gadget by Paul Rowntree. I adapted my home-built CNC machine with a rotary axis, which enables the machine to cut these long threads using the Spiral Layout gadget. Then, the TreeSoft Threads gadget was used to cut the 'nuts'. The pitch in both projects was 6 TPI.

Regards,

Jay

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Thread-cutting projects

Post by scottp55 »

The leg vise is SLICK :)

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Very cool Jay. how do the vise threads hold up when tightened? What wood is the screw?
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

greatdane

Post by greatdane »

Scott55: Thanks for the comment.

Paul: The threads are holding up extremely well, even though there are several which are a bit chipped. This was primarily caused by the grain direction not being all that compatible with the thread shape. The screw is poplar - believe it or not. Which also contributes to the chip out. I am fairly careful that I don't drop whatever I am clamping onto the threads. The vise is only about 1.5 months 'old' - don't know how the threads will hold up over a longer period. I have a 2.5" maple dowel waiting in the wings - in case.

I cut a trial roller stand nut out of home improvement store 2' x 6' to the get the dimensions right - fully expecting to cut the final version out of better quality stock. However, the quality of threads was so great, I decided to cut another nut from the 2' x 6' and put them into their full intended use.

I didn't take a pic before I gave it away but I cut a lidded box from alder. It turned out great.

Thanks a ton for developing the Threads gadget.

Regards,

Jay

john.hennen
Model of CNC Machine: Artisan II

Post by john.hennen »

Legacy CNC machines have been making threads now for several years now. Check out this video For external threads the spiral job setup is a great way to make them. For the internal threads I would use the magnate bit 751, or 796. Here is a really cool project using threading and Aspire to create a hollow candy bowl.

greatdane

Post by greatdane »

Hi John,

Thanks for the tips. I had seen the Legacy video re: the bench vise but not the lidded bowl. That is really cool.

Best regards,

Jay