Toolpath

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Solsylva home built 24x48

Toolpath

Post by mlk1950 »

Could you experienced VCarvers look at this toolpath and tell me if it looks ok?
Attachments
Thieman_60V.txt
(236.98 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Toolpath

Post by Adrian »

Are you having a particular problem?

The file previews ok but whether the settings in it make sense for what your machine is capable of only you can answer.

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

Thought I had my missing steps issue solved. Then I was doing another test carve on this board. The first pass went well. Then I thought I would set the depth a few thousands deeper, because it wasn't getting down through the veneer in some spots. Was going just fine and then it just plowed down in as shown. I'm about ready to give up on this machine. I have carved a few signs since I fixed the end play issue on one of my lead screws and then it does this.
Attachments
This is what it did.
This is what it did.
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

Went out and disassembled the z-axis to see if the belt pulley may have slipped. Everything seems snug and secure. I am running this machine on an older Dell computer. I wonder if that could be the problem. It seems like it works fine and then just does this out of the blue. I am getting paranoid to spend any money on wood. :?
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Generally speaking you don't need a particularly powerful or modern PC to run a CNC. The PC I use is pretty old hat but works faultlessly.

Have you disabled things like screensavers, power savers, automatic updates etc? You don't want anything interfering with the flow of data.

What control software are you using? Most have a screen that shows transmission rates etc which would let you see if there are any comms issues.

Static can affect things as well so it might be worth looking at the grounding.

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

It's a 1 gig Dell and am running the latest version of Mach3. Mach is the only software on the computer, however I will check on that power saver. When it was in the middle of the carve, the screen went black and I had to touch the mouse for the Mach screen to reappear. The computer's sole purpose is to run the CNC, so nothing else is installed and is not connected to the internet. Is there a link to show the proper way to ground a CNC. Mine just plugs into the 20 amp outlet in my shop.
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Mach3 doesn't play well with others so having nothing else on there is the way to go, as has been suggested have a look at any power save options, screen savers etc etc. I would set the screen saver to none, set the display & HDD never to turn off & if you use a USB device to transfer your gcode then unplug it before you hit cycle start.
Think I have the security centre switched off but certainly have the automatic updates disabled.
Does the computer have a separate graphics card or does it use onboard graphics? Read some where on their support forum that mach3 prefers a separate graphics card but mine seems to run ok from the onboard graphics chip.

Hermie
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by Hermie »

If none of the above work, try turning your acceleration and speed down in motor tuning, after building my own cnc I can sympathize with your frustration, but in my case it was just a case of getting the accel and speed right for my machine.

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

I've got the Velocity and accel set to 20 and I have the 305oz steppers. I used to carve at 35ipm, but since I started having this loss steps issue I turned it down.
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

martin54 wrote:Mach3 doesn't play well with others so having nothing else on there is the way to go, as has been suggested have a look at any power save options, screen savers etc etc. I would set the screen saver to none, set the display & HDD never to turn off & if you use a USB device to transfer your gcode then unplug it before you hit cycle start.
Think I have the security centre switched off but certainly have the automatic updates disabled.
Does the computer have a separate graphics card or does it use onboard graphics? Read some where on their support forum that mach3 prefers a separate graphics card but mine seems to run ok from the onboard graphics chip.
Yes it does have separate graphics card. You know I never gave unplugging the flash a thought. I'll be sure and do that from now on, although that's never seemed to be a problem. As touchy as these things are, I guess one never knows.
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I started with a usb wireless keyboard & mouse & mach3 didn't seem to like it at all, it doesn't seem to like things going on in the background if you are connected via parallel port, don't think there are so many issues when using a usb motion controller & I know from speaking to others that speeds are much better when connected that way.
How far have you got the look ahead set, might also be worth looking at that but to be honest if the machine was working fine previously then there is a good chance it is a mechanical problem

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

Hi Martin, I do it all from the keyboard and it's wired via usb as is the mouse. What do you mean by "Look Ahead"? Even though I've been carving with this machine for about 5 years, I still have tons of stuff to learn. What I don't understand is why would it be carving just fine and then just plunge into the wood like that. I am wondering if it's an issue with the controller board, which is connected via parallel port. Problem is I would know where to begin troubleshooting that.
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

mlk1950
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mlk1950 »

I just found the "Look Ahead" in General Config and it is set at 20. Should I try to increase that some?
Mike kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

yes! try 200 or so. I am not sure why Mach3 defaults to such a low value.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

So, if I find my Look Ahead is set at ~20, can I just bump that up to ~200 and be done with it, or do I need to know other stuff about my system?

Sorry if I ~hijacked the thread!
Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle