3D Scalloped Bowl

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: 3D Scalloped Bowl

Post by PaulRowntree »

Thanks Andy!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Chris, would you be willing to post or send the .crv file for that beautiful 72-flute heart shaped bowl? That's such a beautiful design.

--Andy

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Chris
That heart box is just the ant's pants.
Wonderful wedding gift.
If I ask nicely, may I have the plan, please?
My grand daughter is getting married in May.
Cheers
Woffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Thanks for the kind words...

I've attached an .eps of the vectors as I bring them into VCP. I didn't post the CRV file because bits and materials and machine types and all that will not likely be the same for you as they are for me. The vectors are the important part anyway. I did post a snip of the fluting settings I used, so that'll get you 95% there.

Let me know if you have any questions... I'll try to answer them.

Chris
Attachments
Forums Heart EPS.eps
Fluted Heart EPS
(233.65 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Fluting Snip
Fluting Snip
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Doc's
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Doc's »

Very nice work. I am a production woodturner and I do not think I could turn out this type of bowl on a lathe.

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Thank you very much for the pictures and the files Andy. That is some gorgeous looking work.

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

fluted heart bowl.jpg
Chris, I finally got around to reproducing your fluted heart bowl based on the EPS file you uploaded, and based on the flute settings. I re-created the project in VCP and previewed it. The preview is attached.

What is the width of material? Is the material is 1" thick, that would mean that most of the bowl is only about 1/8" thick. Is that sufficient?

Also, after I re-create it, would you mind if I posted the .crv file? I wouldn't want everyone else to have reproduce the same steps. On the other hand, I consider it your design and your property, and I wouldn't want to post it without your permission. I'll assume the answer is no unless I hear otherwise.

--Andy
Locust Lane Woodworking

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Chris, I compared my preview with the photos you posted earlier of the fluted ash heart bowl, and I believe your pictures look different from my preview. It appears to me from the picture that the flutes ramp over a smaller percentage and that they are rounded. I know that sometimes pictures can be misleading, and that I might be seeing it wrong. Does it just look that way from the pictures?

Thanks,
--Andy

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

llwood wrote:Chris, I compared my preview with the photos you posted earlier of the fluted ash heart bowl, and I believe your pictures look different from my preview. It appears to me from the picture that the flutes ramp over a smaller percentage and that they are rounded. I know that sometimes pictures can be misleading, and that I might be seeing it wrong. Does it just look that way from the pictures?

Thanks,
--Andy
Andy,

That particular piece of Ash was 7 1/4" wide and a full inch thick. It was a well seasoned scrap that had been sitting around my shop for a while, so even though the bottom is pretty thin, it's not too thin. I try to "read" the wood to figure out what I think I can & can't do with it.

I agree that your preview looks different than my actual routed bowl. I'm not sure why, perhaps I had a setting or 2 different than what I posted in the tool path image. I neglected to save the .crv file for that bowl, so I can't be sure.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't share the .crv file, as I'm making and selling these, and I don't want a bunch of them out there that I didn't make. The vectors were the hardest part of the whole project anyway. I've never been really good at sharing anyway :lol:

Chris

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

ChrisInEstes wrote: I'd appreciate it if you didn't share the .crv file, as I'm making and selling these, and I don't want a bunch of them out there that I didn't make. The vectors were the hardest part of the whole project anyway. I've never been really good at sharing anyway :lol:

Chris
I am a bit confused here.
You want to protect what you are doing for a living, which is fair enough but you wrote this to Andy"

"I'd like to see your .crv file, and I bet other's (sic) would too. It would be interesting & educational to see how the tool paths relate to the final piece."

As far as I can see, Andy of Locust Lane Woodworking is a pro just like you but it is OK to ask him to post his .crv file whilst you decline to return the favour, not even that,asking him not to post HIS version of something you posted a picture of? :roll:
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Ms Wolffie wrote:
ChrisInEstes wrote: I'd appreciate it if you didn't share the .crv file, as I'm making and selling these, and I don't want a bunch of them out there that I didn't make. The vectors were the hardest part of the whole project anyway. I've never been really good at sharing anyway :lol:

Chris
I am a bit confused here.
You want to protect what you are doing for a living, which is fair enough but you wrote this to Andy"

"I'd like to see your .crv file, and I bet other's (sic) would too. It would be interesting & educational to see how the tool paths relate to the final piece."

As far as I can see, Andy of Locust Lane Woodworking is a pro just like you but it is OK to ask him to post his .crv file whilst you decline to return the favour, not even that,asking him not to post HIS version of something you posted a picture of? :roll:
Wolffie
I did do that, didn't I? My bad. I'll make an effort to not do that again.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Chris

Edit: If I had the .crv file, I'd post it. Maybe my off site backup grabbed it... I'll look for it.

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Ms Wolffie wrote:As far as I can see, Andy of Locust Lane Woodworking is a pro just like you...

Wolffie
Well, gosh I'm flattered, but I'm actually more of a hobbyist....

Andy

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

The limitations on this forum really baffle me. I got an email that said I have received a private message, but when I click on the link, I get the message, "You are not authorised to read private messages."

Does anyone know how I can get past the disabled intro user stage? :?:

Andy

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Andy & all,

I had no luck finding a backup .crv file. I still have that particular piece, so I gave it a good lookin' at and was able to recreate the tool paths as I believe I cut the dish. The fluting settings I posted before were indeed incorrect, (good eye, Andy!) and I didn't realize that from just looking at the preview.

I've posted the .crv file and an image of the correct flute path settings. Feel free to use them as you wish... and post your own .crv files... really! :lol:

Thanks for looking after me!
Chris
Attachments
Large Heart Ash.crv
Heart .crv
(404 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

llwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by llwood »

Thanks, Chris! That really is such a beautiful design. I hope you see our desire to cut it ourselves as a compliment.

And I guarantee to not sell or mass produce your design. It will be just for personal use and for loved ones.

Sincerely,
--Andy