Undesirable 3D tool path code

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

mwpfeifer
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy BT 48 Std w/Spindle

Undesirable 3D tool path code

Post by mwpfeifer »

I have been doing a few recessed 3D scenes using the wildlife files from the VectorArt 3D Design and Carve Series and have a somewhat minor issue that I would like to resolve or at least understand. If you review the attach picture you will notice the rectangular flat (just inside of the red squiggly lines) carved during the finish tool path along with the with the 3D Scene. It turns out this flat area is the same dimensions as the material X&Y dimensions I set within Aspire (3.5) when I developed this carving but I can't figure out how it is being included with the 3D scene when the finishing toolpath is generated. Obviously I can sand it out or just run it thru the thickness planer and get rid of it but it is adding to the machining time which is long enough already.
Attachments
DSC04969w.jpg
Mike
Grand Rapids, MN
Shopbot BT48 w/spindle

Ronwoodson2
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop Max, 6 inch indexer

Re: Undesirable 3D tool path code

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

When creating your toolpaths, select the vector that outlines the recessed area. and all inside that vector, and that will define the area to carve.
Ron Woodson
Somerset, Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com

mwpfeifer
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy BT 48 Std w/Spindle

Post by mwpfeifer »

Ron,
Unless I add one there is no vector outline to select so guess that is what I will have to do. Still seems kind of strange to have to do this but not a big problem to include.
Mike
Grand Rapids, MN
Shopbot BT48 w/spindle

Ronwoodson2
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop Max, 6 inch indexer

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

Mike,

Select the dish component, and-- From the modeling tab, select 'Create Vector Boundary from Selected Component'.
This does it quickly.
Ron Woodson
Somerset, Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com