A few recent 3d projects

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

A few recent 3d projects

Post by Xxray »

Am getting back into 3d after a long hiatus, got hung up on plexiglass edge lit signs and for months thats about all I have been doing.
Did a -3d crucifix in 1" plexi, turned out pretty nice. A buddy of mine who as luck would have it runs an acrylic shop gave me some samples to try out, some place "gator foam" and some expanded pvc. Foam was just that, foamy ... Shaped ok, but really doesn't shape all that well, though the heavily textured look might be suitable for some purposes.
PVC on the other hand shaped great, I really like this stuff.
Both cuts are about 5x12 and took about 2 hours using a .05 tapered bit, the expanded a bit more because of the standing proud design, more area was surfaced ,,, Because of the relative softness, didn't need or use a roughing pass, which itself saved quite a bit of time and effort.
Attachments
1 (Large).JPG
1 (Larffge).JPG
2 (Large).JPG
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Re: A few recent 3d projects

Post by Xxray »

Been on quite a 3d plexi roll, this 3/8" 12x10 came out nearly flawless
Attachments
DSCN0045 (Large).JPG
DSCN0049 (Large).JPG
DSCN0050 (Large).JPG
Doug

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

WOW! These last three are beautiful. Me personally like the last one (white) best.

Joz

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Hi Joz, the 3 are the same one, just different lighting effects, last one is with no light.
Doug

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Nice job on all the acrylic cuttings.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Here is another plexi -3d I did today, with the "right to bear arms" crowd in mind, of which I know a few.
Made with 1" plexi, came out very nice, model went down a good .75 into the plexi. Haven't made a base for it yet, just set it on top of another base I had handy. Pretty large, 12 x 10", and will use a remote RGB strip for lighting, should sell like a hotcake [has anyone ever tried selling hotcakes ??]
As you can see, I have some buffing issues to work out. I got a load of 1" plexi cheap, but its a bit scratched up. I am going to invest around $400 in a professional buffer, if I can get this stuff crystal clear, which I have no doubt I will, the machine will easily pay for itself, I have enough 1" to do around 30 signs this size, and paid next to nothing for it.
Attachments
DSCN0082 (Large).JPG
DSCN0084 (Large).JPG
DSCN0085 (Large).JPG
Doug

Kym
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by Kym »

Hi Xxray,

The acrylic carvings are very clean....are they engaved with a V bit or your Diamond drag method?

Cheers,
Kym

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Your carvings look eerily 3d. Good work.

Angie

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

My favorite one so far! Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks all, yeah you can really get these to pop in this 1" thick acrylic, depth is not a problem, in fact I'll try going down .9 next one just for kicks.
I use the same bits as I would have for 3d in wood, .25 endmill for roughing and a .05 tapered ballnose for finish, total time was under 2 hours, not bad for a detailed piece this size. [Lettering was done with a drag bit, I have tried vcarving acrylic, so far without success].
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Here are a few more I have recently done in 1" acrylic, these are offered for sale at a buddies laser engraving booth.
A deer, galloping horse and German shep, the lines visible in high res you can hardly see with the naked eye. Last shot is a general shot of the stuff I have there ,,, Haven't sold a whole lot but he likes them there, says they draw people over like magnets, which often gives him other business. Things should pick up towards xmas, in the mean time, I just like making them.
Attachments
1 (Large).JPG
2 (Large).JPG
3 (Large).JPG
4 (Large).JPG
Doug

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Xxray, there are several types of acrylic cleaner that will remove minor scratches and some that are not so minor. One is call Kunst-stoff (and yes that really is it's name) which I assume is a German product and the other is local to me and made by a company that makes light boxes for edge lit signs (having done so for over 20 years). http://www.signlighting.com.au/ancillar ... -polishes/

Anyone that would like to purchase light sources THAT WORK for edge lit signs might do well to buy from this company.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks for the tip, I have used these, branded "Novus" here, does not suit my purposes, but for guys looking to remove scratches from aquariums they seem pretty popular.
Takes way too much time for little result and is almost useless for the stuff I do, at least that was my experience with it. I was advised to keep with it, keep rubbing and rubbing by hand and eventually the scratches will go away, I found it far more efficient, with the amount of used plexi I go through, to get the industrial buffer and do in minutes what would otherwise take hours.
Doug

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

Excellent work, just beautiful
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

hockeyguy01
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc

Post by hockeyguy01 »

Amazing work!!! I am still a trail version user. I have been trying to master aspire before I purchase this awesome program. Are these images made from scratch?