ColourRout material in the USA

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dman
Vectric Craftsman

ColourRout material in the USA

Post by dman »

Does anyone know where to purchase ColourRout type material in the USA? I am looking for a wood veneer with black base material. Does it exist is the USA?

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Dman,

This same question has been asked over on the shopbot forum, I forget where abouts but if I remember correctly there is a place in florida that has something very simular to ColourRout. There is supposed to be a place in the chicago area also.

Both dighsx (Jay) and I ran across a site that mentioned colored MDF by a place in Upstate NY. The information that both Jay and I posted is at the following thread link http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176&highlight= I think its at the bottom of that page.

Just got home from work( 2am ) and after getting some rest, I'll see if I can find that information over on shopbots forum.

Don
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Thanks for the info Don. I would very much like to try a material like ColourRout for the PhotoVcarve pictures as well as any other signs/carvings.

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

One option for ColourRout is to make your own and add even more of a personal touch to your work. You can find good veneering information at. http://www.joewoodworker.com/

Dan
Attachments
Curly maple on cherry.jpg
Curly maple on cherry.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Wood Signs.jpg
wood signs
(73.03 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

Any of the veneered MDF's work well. Cherry, birch, and oak. After routing and sanding them, stain them. The stain will wipe off the veneer and be lighter with the MDF soaking up the stain and being much darker providing a nice contrast. The finer you sand the veneer the less it will stain.

Here's one that was done with cherry veneer MDF.
Attachments
Live Laugh Love.jpg
(195.78 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Scott

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Scott,
Thats a really nice piece of work. Can you share with us the tool you used? The lettering
is clear and crisp. Maybe the depth of cut as well...
Thanks..
Chuck

mcurtis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mcurtis »

And the material supplier? (or did you laminate it yourself?)
Looks Great!

Thanks
Maynard

Scott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Scott »

Thanks. The beveled edge and the border was cut with a 90 degree bit and the text and accents were done with a 60 degree bit. The size of the plaque is 21.5" wide by 38" long. Max depth on the text is 0.0911" The font is called "BlacklightD". This font works really nice for text as it cuts clean and deep enough to make it clear and crisp. This plaque was first sprayed with two coats of conversion varnish, cut, and lightly sprayed with a dark brown fast drying spray paint in the carving and the edge (I applied a little mask first). Then after the paint was dry, the overspray was sanded off and then two more coats of conversion varnish were applied. Sounds like a lot of fuss, but it's really not that bad. Staining veneered MDF plaques after cutting and then finishing is much quicker/easier, but I wanted the cherry to be natural and age to its nice warm color.

If I don't need a higher grade of veneer on the MDF, I can get oak and birch locally at Menards (this often requires digging to the bottom of the stack at 90lbs/sheet). The cherry MDF and a few others, I can get from my lumber/plywood supplier Friendship Hardwoods in Frienship, WI.

Here's a couple of mirrors done in oak and birch MDF with stain.
Attachments
Mirror2.JPG
(74.8 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Mirror1.JPG
(107.7 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Scott

Scott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Scott »

The oak one.
Attachments
Mirror4.JPG
(127.7 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Mirror3.JPG
(110.35 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Scott

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Thanks for the info Scott, nice work on the mirrors...
Chuck

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Thanks for all the replies. I have to give laminating a try. Has anyone tried this with photovcarve? It seems to be the way to go for wooden pictures if it works like the above examples.

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi all
Here is a picture V carved into curly maple that I veneered on to cherry.Size is 7x7 inch Bit 60 degree 170% line spacing .050 deep
Dan
Attachments
Curly maple on cherry
Curly maple on cherry
Andy 1.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 3757 times