Speedsand Feeds red oak

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Speedsand Feeds red oak

Post by Kimon »

I am trying to carve some red oak with a 3d model and am getting some burning. Should I slow down the speed or the feed or both? I am using a 1/2 inch ball nose for roughing.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

In my experience, if the cutter is burning the RPM's are too fast for your feed. So either slow DOWN the RPM's or UP the feedrate.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Thanks I will give it a shot

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Let me know if it works. Thats just my general rule, and not anything set in stone.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Speedsand Feeds red oak

Post by CRFultz »

Kimon wrote:I am trying to carve some red oak with a 3d model and am getting some burning. Should I slow down the speed or the feed or both? I am using a 1/2 inch ball nose for roughing.
Kimon I've never cut but a small amount of red oak but I did get some burning in maple.
I ran another pass at mach speed at a depth just enough to get some chips and it cleaned it right up with no burning.

So, like Jason said, faster feeds should clear it up.

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

I increased the speed of the router to 21,000 and still had burning. On close examination of the bit (cheap lowes core box) I found it to be the problem. I changed over to my finishing bit and it cut clean as a wistle.

Thanks for your help.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I think you should have increased the 'FEED' not the 'SPEED OF THE ROUTER'. The more router speed (rpm), then the greater the heat generated due to friction and the more chance of burning. Slowing(Decreasing, not Increasing) the router speed (rpm) will decrease heat.
The faster the 'Feed Rate', then the shorter time the bit is touching one place to generate heat, and the less heat, and hence less burning.