Low resolution or am I doing something wrong

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Mark McC
Model of CNC Machine: Chencan Wenhua 4.5 CZ

Low resolution or am I doing something wrong

Post by Mark McC »

Hi there,

We bought Vcarve a few months ago and I use it mainly to cut out arched shapes for doors. We're a joinery company.

We have a client that is looking for small floral details in the shelf above her door and I am trying to make them on the cnc.

I am using the flourish 188d from the Design&Make architectural pack. The size is roughly 120mm wide x 80mm high.

I scaled it to be oval shaped - the original is round but that has the same quality issue anyway when i tried it.

I have tried carving it with a 3mm ball nose bit and a 2mm ball nose bit but both of them look the same and look very low quality. Like the edges of the model are pixelated.

This is not usable for us like this so I just want to try find out if that free model is just low quality or if I am doing something wrong in the toolpaths as I've not used the 3d carving before.

I have it set up on a 8x4' sheet of tricoya (mdf) and I'm only cutting 2 very small parts so could that be the issue?

I have attached a photo to show the really bad border it has cut.

Any help would be great as we need this in a hurry and I don't have time to order one online for this reason

- Mark
Attachments
flourish 188d.jpg

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Re: Low resolution or am I doing something wrong

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Mark...

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue.

I suspect there is something wrong with the tooling. Could you please email your file to support@designandmake.com so we can have a look? If that proves to be hard to do (file size) please DM me and we can work something out.

Thanks...
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

Mark McC

Post by Mark McC »

Hi Todd,

I have sent the file to that email you specified. Hopefully I can get this sorted as I spent the weekend trying to figure it out and couldn't get anywhere with it really!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark McC

Post by Mark McC »

Just letting you know I got it working thanks to what you guys told me and I watched a video someone linked me in general about it.

I had the job size set to the sheet size (8'x4') and the part was tiny...

Thanks for the help! Look forward to doing more carving on the cnc now as I used it only for cutting flat shapes and making jigs for the joiners.

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Great to hear!!!! Thanks for letting us know. Please post a finished cut to this thread... we would love to see it!!!
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

Sled
Model of CNC Machine: 4’x4’ bed - 24,000 RPM - homemade

Post by Sled »

I am interested in seeing the video that was sent as I am having a similar problem with one of the DM 3D models I’m working with. Perhaps I could learn from the video you were sent. Thanks

Sled

Post by Sled »

I am interested in seeing the video that was sent as I am having a similar problem with one of the DM 3D models I’m working with. Perhaps I could learn from the video you were sent. Thanks

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

When creating the project, be sure the size is just slightly larger than the finished project will be. Also, set the project resolution in the setup screen BEFORE importing or designing anything. You can increase the resolution after importing but it will have no effect on what is already in the project.
Steve

Sled

Post by Sled »

Thanks, Steve. And sorry about the double post... still trying to figure it all out

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Sometimes double posts happen to me also. After clicking on the Submit button, there is a lag and the message appears to "unposted" so I'll click on the button again. Then the forum won't allow a delete. It is a good idea to be careful to not post the same message in other parts of the forum but, it's not a problem for me no matter what the cause. However there are those that are so ostentatious that they feel compelled to point a finger.
Steve

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

"ostentatious" :shock: To say the least! :?
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.