Excessive toolpath

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

nmflyr
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Excessive toolpath

Post by nmflyr »

I am designing a door model and the 3D view is as I desire, but when creating toolpaths, I use the roughing tool to cut away using a large bit, then create the finish toolpath using an 1/8 ballnose. The finish toolpath goes over the same cuts as the roughing path, and takes 68 hrs to cut. How can I make the finish toolpath only cut the remaining stock?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Excessive toolpath

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Draw vectors around the sections that you want the finish toolpath to cover, and be sure to Selected Vectors on the finishing toolpath.
Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.02.25 PM.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Excessive toolpath

Post by adze_cnc »

nmflyr wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 pm
The finish toolpath goes over the same cuts as the roughing path... How can I make the finish toolpath only cut the remaining stock?
Here's where an image would seriously help.

If you run a 3D Roughing toolpath over a particular area and then run a 3D Finishing toolpath over the same area the 3D Finishing toolpath will indeed cut only the "remaining stock".

What type of 3D Roughing toolpath are you using: "Z Level" or "3D Raster"?

Perhaps you could have two 3D Finishing toolpaths: one using the 1/8" bit to get into detailed areas and one using a large bit to clear less detailed areas.