Resolution and TBN bits

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Resolution and TBN bits

Post by Aussie »

Hi all,

If I setup using High and cut using a 1/32 TBN bit versus setting up with Very High using a 1/16 TBN model size is approx 120mm x 80mm
Will I see a difference in the detail of the cut model ? cut time is not a consideration.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Resolution and TBN bits

Post by scottp55 »

After I'm caffeinated I'll mention more, but to get started Ron...have you watched this?
https://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tr ... video_id=9
D&M models were made for a .125" Ball Nose at a certain project size.
So there's a point where no matter how small a TBN you use....there will be no difference.
But I usually use Maximum anyways with highest preview simulation...
AFTER I use a low res setup for playing around at different sizes for wood selection and playing.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Resolution and TBN bits

Post by scottp55 »

D&M made details for an 1/8"BN at say an 8X10" (totally guessing that size...just an example).
So at half size all details will be there with a 1/16" TBN...
And reduce by half again, and a 1/32" TBN will have all the details.
Going any smaller doesn't change a thing.

Going to Maximum (50X) resolution before importing, with the smallest material size the project needs,
Is going to give you best "Pixel Saturation" and will smooth out the Jaggies quite a bit for better carve.

IF model isn't a D&M and is highly detailed...then after a 7X resolution test file with model outlines,
I'll "Save As" a new file at Max res(50X setup)...delete the low res models, and re-import and use all the
settings/sizes from the last file...and use the previous borders to place models exactly where they were.

Then starts the process of deciding details vs time on the bit to use.
I usually do the largest bit I guess will work....then the next size down...rinse and repeat.
Then preview from the largest bit down to smallest(without resetting preview,
and at Very High Preview Quality.....when I can't notice any difference at all...Undo Last and use that bit.
I DO go all the way to .25mm TBN (and even a 30* engraving bit with a .005" flat)...
as Owls DO have nostrils, feathers/fur have details/ and everything should have eyeballs
(not a "suggestion" of eyeballs!).
But then I'm a detail freak, and if an artist stuck a detail in their model...I WANT it! :)

Guess my espresso is finally working...rambling.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.