Something Fishy

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Something Fishy

Post by BigC »

Thanks, Todd for making Koi 1 available.
I'm currently working a new sign for over the pond and this model fits the part perfectly.
Leaf Colour pallette.jpg
It's still a long way off but you can see where I'm going on this.
May I ask what is your best method for clearing fuzzies as this is old pallet wood due to lockdown
Regards
C
fin3.jpg

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Re: Something Fishy

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hey Big C...

Looks great!!! Love it and your process. Is the colored leaf test for painting?

Your question might be better suited to mtylerfl to answer... I'll point him in the direction of your post!

Can't wait to see the finished project, make sure you post it so we can see it!

Todd
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi BigC!

Your project is coming along well and I look forward to seeing the completion!

You may know this already, but I favor using the 3/4” or 1” diameter 3M Bristle Discs (3 stacked on a Dremel mandrel) for removing “fuzzies” in small details. I use 80-grit almost exclusively now, as I have trained myself to adjust the “touch” to control them well. I’ve not found anything else that does a better job so far.

I usually apply a 50/50 mix of Bulls Eye Zinsser SealCoat and denatured alcohol onto the wood and allow it to dry before using the discs to remove the now-stiffened fuzzies. It’s quick and effective.

For larger not-so-detailed areas, I’ll use 150 to 220-grit sandpaper by hand to knock off any roughness or fuzzies.

If I’ll be painting surfaces, I usually apply 2 coats of the SealCoat mix, followed by light coats of rattle can clearcoat (gloss to build quickly, then flat to give some bite for the paint to adhere to).

I hope this is helpful - holler if you have any questions!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

mtylerfl wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:54 pm

I usually apply a 50/50 mix of Bulls Eye Zinsser SealCoat and denatured alcohol onto the wood and allow it to dry before using the discs to remove the now-stiffened fuzzies. It’s quick and effective.
Michael, thanks for the nifty tip on getting fuzzies sanded. I've been using the bristle discs as well but not with the prep you mention here. Cant wait to try it out.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

You’re welcome, Joe!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

Todd Bailey wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:36 pm
Hey Big C...
Looks great!!! Love it and your process. Is the colored leaf test for painting?
Your question might be better suited to mtylerfl to answer... I'll point him in the direction of your post!
Can't wait to see the finished project, make sure you post it so we can see it!
Todd
Thank you Todd for the kind words and encouragement. Yes the paint scheme is just a little mock-up of what I would ideally like to do or similar that's all in my head... but paper and wood are two entirely different mediums so we shall see how things go (If I don't manage to mess things up which is quite often the case) :D I will come back and post up when I'm finished.
mtylerfl wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:54 pm
Hi BigC!

Your project is coming along well and I look forward to seeing the completion!

You may know this already, but I favor using the 3/4” or 1” diameter 3M Bristle Discs (3 stacked on a Dremel mandrel) for removing “fuzzies” in small details. I use 80-grit almost exclusively now, as I have trained myself to adjust the “touch” to control them well. I’ve not found anything else that does a better job so far.

For larger not-so-detailed areas, I’ll use 150 to 220-grit sandpaper by hand to knock off any roughness or fuzzies.

If I’ll be painting surfaces, I usually apply 2 coats of the SealCoat mix, followed by light coats of rattle can clearcoat (gloss to build quickly, then flat to give some bite for the paint to adhere to).

I hope this is helpful - holler if you have any questions!
Thank you, Michael, for taking the time out to answer my plight. I can manage to get the back slab, the koi and the Rising Sun all sanded easily enough, The maple leaves are a different matter. I will try your approach and tell you how things work out.
It is pallet wood so I'm not expecting too much so long as it's neat and tidy. It's for an outside job so I guess a final coat/s of Polyurethane varnish will be the order of the day.
Thanks again guys,
Much appreciated
Regards
C