Clipart for VCarvePro

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Clipart for VCarvePro

Post by ohiolyons »

So I have Aspire and I always assumed Export as 3d Clipart allowed me to create models that any Vectric software could access from clipart folders.
Well it only creates models Aspire can access from clipart folders.
Boy was I surprised when I tried it. Dave was surprised too!

I know I can export it as an STL, but that requires a more experienced VCarve person to import and put into their creation.

I'm looking for a way to save a model as a .v3m file so it can be placed into a Vectric clipart folder.
So it can be dragged and dropped within VCarve just like any model you buy from Design and Make.

I assume the answer is it their proprietary format to guaranty the quality of the models.
But is sure would be nice to be able save models in the .v3m format.

Thanks for any insights.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Clipart for VCarvePro

Post by Adrian »

STL is the only export format that can be read from any program. As you've found the other formats are Aspire only.

It has been requested that the "Save as VCarve" option in Aspire be expanded to include one model rather than just vectors as currently. Whether that is something Vectric will do in future I don't know.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Not that I'll be a threat to D&M, but how do they save .v3m files?
Do they have a special version of Aspire?
Is there third party software that creates .v3m files?
I guess I thought they were created and saved in Aspire.

It makes no sense to be able to create clipart folder compatible files for Aspire and not VCarve too.
I understand why they wouldn't let you create any clipart compatible files, but only clipart compatible files for Aspire.

They are limiting our ability to make money doing custom artwork since it is my understanding there are 4-5 times as many VCarve licences as Aspire.

Sorry for the venting, but vectric this should change.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Interesting Machinist now offered by Design & Make allows you to open a .v3m file and do some basic editing/formatting and saving it as a .v3m for VCarvePro.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio