Holiday Traditions - Hack of the Week No.200

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Holiday Traditions - Hack of the Week No.200

Post by Todd Bailey »

Introducing our latest Hack of the Week Model Project
Hack of the Week No.200
https://store.designandmake.com/shop/product/19214

Every family has holiday traditions that only they celebrate... but some are shared amongst many of us. The choosing of the Christmas tree is one of these yearly events that a lot of families look forward too. Some will go to a local tree lot and pick out a wrapped tree and others will venture out into a tree farm and pick the perfect one to cut down. Once found transporting can be done in many creative ways. Hanging it out the back or tying it to the roof of your car is an excepted method. If you're lucky enough you might have access to a festive red pick-up truck to get the job done. Any way you do it you know this tradition will be one that will continue for years to come.

This Hack of the Week's included assembled layout can be easily customized with text to make a wonderfully festive holiday decoration or even a seasonal house sign!

or

If the included Assembled Layout is not just quite right, you have all you need to make it your own. Recreate the bits you like using the single models included in the hack and then add in some of your own!

4 models, 1 assembled layout, 1 Project Sheet. All offered in .V3M format for VCarve Pro 8, VCarve Desktop or Aspire.

Remember, all the models in this pack can be cut as individual models or combined with other models in your library.

=========================================

Browse all of our Hack of the Week Model Projects... https://store.designandmake.com/search/ ... ype=search

Check out what other Design and Make users have been up to - http://designandmakeit.com/index.php/ca ... mer-focus/

Don't forget to follow us on:

FB - https://www.facebook.com/designandmakeit
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/designandmakeit/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/DesignAndMakeIt
Attachments
Hack of the Week No.200
Hack of the Week No.200
Customized Assembled Layout
Customized Assembled Layout
Included Assembled Layout - Ready for Customization
Included Assembled Layout - Ready for Customization
The individual single models included in this hack!
The individual single models included in this hack!
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Holiday Traditions - Hack of the Week No.200

Post by mtylerfl »

That is definitely a fun set of Christmas models, Todd (love the Truck - can be used in other non-holiday projects, too!). Thank you for making this available!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff

Post by Todd Bailey »

Thanks, Michael!!!
DesignAndMake.com

russdent
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by russdent »

Thanks for the Hack, Todd! When I saw it, I simply had to order it and give it a try.

We have always had a fresh Christmas tree and most have come from the mountains in the back of our pickup truck. We still light candles on our tree, sometimes to the shock and horror of visitors. I remember when my father bought one of these pickup trucks brand new. Our daughter is now carrying on the practice with her own family and traditions are very important to her, so this will make a perfect gift. This really is our family tradition!

I recently completed my diy CNC and this is my first attempt at machining a 3D model. I wasn't ready to design something and wanted to take a model out of the box and commit it to wood. What I learned: It really was as simple as adapting the model to the size wood I found in my scrap box and generating toolpaths. Even at a small 9"x.75", the scrap of Oak had enough detail when done with a 1/8" ball nose cutter. Slow down. In my excitement, I failed to realize the grain was vertical until about 5 minutes had passed. I let it finish. As it turns out, it is stronger than if turned the other way.
Hack200_Cut_1.jpg
The second go was done by assembling the models individually. Text placement was poor because I didn't look closely enough at the preview before generating the toolpath and cutting wood. I have learned a ton including what feeds and speeds work on my machine!
Hack200_Cut_2.jpg
Can't wait to get out there an do the final pass. Thanks again for the fine projects and video tutorials!
Russ

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

NICE job Russ!! :)
LIKE the painted one(and I usually don't like painting wood:)
Congrats!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Outstanding work, Russ! Thanks for the details of your process and for showing us your photos!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

russdent

Post by russdent »

Thanks Scott, I used one of Todd's techniques to add color - colored pencils. Actually, it was oil pastels so as not to hide the grain. I used a rubbing stick to smooth out the pigment.

Michael, thanks for the encouragement. BTW, I used one of your projects (grocery list) when I was calibrating my machine. Cannot wait to get going on some more! I really like the videos and accompany information and photos.

Russ

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Russ!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and pictures! Both finished parts look really nice, I especially like the one with the color... exactly as I hoped someone would do.

Being from Canada we always cut down our own Christmas tree and either strapped it to the roof of our car (always made for an exciting drive home), put it in the trunk of our van or, when we were lucky enough, tossed it in the back of my Father-In-Laws pickup. Made for many great memories and cemented a Family Tradition in our Family... good times!

I'm glad you found the project easy to work with and felt it was a good place to start with your CNC adventure... and having a wonderful gift like you created to give to your daughter is just the icing on the cake! Well Done!

One of the things you did was very unexpected... taking the single models and recreating the layout... that is something I never thought people would do. I figured they would create their own layout but as a way to learn, it makes total sense.

Thanks again for sharing and we can't wait to see what you make next!
DesignAndMake.com

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Tod,
I like this model. A good friend of my has a 1951 Chevy truck that looks very much like your model.

Can you tell me what truck your model was based on please?

Thanks,
Mark

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Mark...

To be honest we try not to be too specific but it tries to look like a 1950's style pickup.

Sorry it's not a specific year or make.
DesignAndMake.com

Boatguy1979
Model of CNC Machine: Shark ii

Post by Boatguy1979 »

Russ and or Todd can you tell me where to get more information on using the colored pencils and the rubbing stick you mentioned, Love the look of the carve of the truck with the color. My wife has tasked me with doing this and soon.....
Keith

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Keith...

Ahhh... yeah, I kinda just fell on to it. My results are not nearly as nice as Russ's so he might be better to give you a professional incite when it comes to this. :D

Here is my method... or updated method...

- Stain
- Clearcoat
- then lightly color the areas you want to add color to and darken it down as necessary.
- then clearcoat again.

I would test it on a scrap piece of wood before you dive right in. I have also seen this done with pastels and sharpy markers!
DesignAndMake.com

russdent

Post by russdent »

Hi Keith,

My method was similar to Todd's.

> Wiping stain (I think it has a little polyurethane in it)
> Colored the area with oil pastels (found at the craft store and look like large crayons)
> Rubbed the pigment to smooth the color (I called them rubbing sticks but I think they are actually called felt sticks or rubbing stumps)
> clearcoat with Michael Tyler's technique of spraying gloss clear followed by matte or satin clear

I also tested on a piece of scrap with colored pencils. My wife wanted a little more color and that led me to the oil pastels. :-)

Russ