Clip art file types information

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Clip art file types information

Post by ohiolyons »

OK I have clipart from version 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10.

Looking at these files in their actual folders that Vectric puts them in and I see the same image with different file types.

.3dClip

.v3m

1) Is one better than the other?
2) If so which is the highest resolution?
3) Is this just where they were bought from?

Also some .3dClip have companion files with a .vclipp extension, some don't.

4) What do these do?
5) Can I delete these?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Re: Clip art file types information

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello...

I think I can help out with this one...

.V3M files are 3D content that can be imported into any Vectric Software that can make use of 3D content. These would have been included with VCarve Desktop/Pro and Aspire or downloaded from Design and Make.
.3Dclip files can only be opened in Aspire and can contain a single piece of 3D content or a group of 3D content. These would have been included with your purchase of Aspire or have been exported from Aspires component tree (a feature only found in Aspire).

Sometimes you will have V3Ms that look like 3Dclip files but they are different in that the .3Dclip file might have a group of components that you can ungroup and mess about with.

As for the .vclipp files they are there for the software to look at and sort out what content you may or may not have downloaded from your V&Co Customer portal account. When you open up your Clipart tab in your software, if you see a piece of clipart that needs to be downloaded that appears because of the .vclipp file. If your software can't find the associated .v3m, .3Dclip, .crv or .crv3D file that matches the .vclipp file then you see that thumbnail in the clipart browser. They are small files so I would just leave them... but if you do choose to delete them then you won't know what clipart you are entitled unless you refresh your clipart browser (done via the cloud or refresh icon in the clipart browser).

Hope that helps...

Todd
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks for your insights it does help.

So I have some images in both .3dClip and .v3m formats. Theoretically if they were saved from the same model would one yield a better image?

Again thanks
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello...

Nope, they both should be the same... just one might have groups of components that can be ungrouped. If you find you think you have 2 of the same, one being a .V3M and the other a .3DClip I would suggest having a look at both (in your software) and keeping the one you feel will be most useful. Then move the other to a different location. Just looking at the thumbnail of the component won't tell you the full story because there just might be hidden components in a group.
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Thank this helps a lot.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Todd Bailey