Designandmake DIY craft CNC

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Designandmake DIY craft CNC

Post by TSM2018 »

I saw the info on the craft CNC that uses a dremel, this might be a fun project... Has anyone in the US completed this project? Since I have a metal mill and metal lathe, I am wondering if metal gears can be substituted in the project. Next time I get out to a good hardware source, I'll see if I can purchase the metric hardware, as I am in the US, I generally don't pay much attention to metric hardware.

http://www.designandmake.com/index.php/hardware/

I am interested to find out if anyone else has made this project. While I do not have a laser or 3D printer, I can do these processes at my local makerspace.

Thanks in advance for your review...

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Designandmake DIY craft CNC

Post by TSM2018 »

The list of acrylic parts says perspex. Since this is going to be lasered, I can use ordinary acrylic from a home improvement store. I know my makerspace laser did not like Lexan, as it turned all my edges brown, very unpleasant result.

3mm = 1/8"
5mm = 13/64"= .203125 closest options are .220
10mm = 24/64" = .390625 but I can purchase 9 mm or 12 mm

Should these questions be posted here? I think someone at my makerspace had the plastic parts printed for this project.

Since I own a CNC router already, can I re position the parts in Aspire and use my router instead of the maker space's laser for cutting out the parts? My machining area is 24" x 40". I'm not sure there machine will allow a15.75" x 24" pieces of material. If I can use my CNC router, then I will order cast acrylic.

I can be extremely precise when necessary, and this past precision history makes me question how precise the materials need to be so I can assemble. I've assembled enough kits in my life to understand if the thickness is off I'm not going to assemble, and I don't know if you engineered any tolerance in your design for the availability of perspex in the USA vs. UK.

When I went to download the files to order cast acrylic -vs standard hardware acrylic I was able to download Vectric CRV3D files for 5 mm and 10mm, but the 3 mm file looks like a GCode file and not a CRV3D file that I can view in Aspire v. 9.xxx It also appears the acrylic files were updated and edited and the 400x600 mm measurements are different in the actual layout of the two CRV3D files that I was able to view tonite.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Please Ignore question about downloading files; I solved that problem.

Thanks -

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Please Ignore question about downloading files; I solved that problem.

Thanks -

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

I too thought about doing this project but got busy with other "stuff". Keep us posted as you go along. I saw the "LITTLE CNC" at the VECTRIC meeting and was impressed with what had been cut. POST pics as you go.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

As I contemplate this project and starting with the end in mind;

1)My assumptions is that I can purchase all the metric hardware here in the US - I may change everything to US Hardware and will keep notes if I get the project assembled. Will see what my local stores have in stock as I don't want to mail order from MSC, Grainger, etc, etc...
2) Perspex has limited availability and of course, I can import from the UK, but with the current rate of exchange, I am considering clear cast acrylic. I would cut it out on my CNC but the I think you have the parts labeled for assembly purposes, and I would have to separate the tool paths and change the tool bit to accomplish this; probably less time to laser; The makerspace has a boss laser 16x14. so I'm going to have to move parts anyway and I can cut 24" x40" with my CNC router.
3) I called my makerspace today and they will 3D print my parts for me.
4) the most important hurdle is to obtain the electronic components, so I've made this my first priority before I print the parts or purchase the acrylic.

My Questions:

1) Since I own Aspire 9.x and Mach 3 software is there a driver available that I can load in Mach 3, to run the dremel CNC? Am I limited to the free Design and Make Free Software?
2) I have downloaded the files today. Referencing your what's new link, https://github.com/DesignAndMake/CraftC ... w:-Updates Were these modifications included? or do I need to edit for the what's new items, most recent changes were September 2017.

Thanks -

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

TSM2018 wrote:2) Perspex has limited availability and of course, I can import from the UK, but with the current rate of exchange, I am considering clear cast acrylic.-
Perspex is a brand, as Plexiglas is. The actual name of the product is PMMA, often named clear acrylic. You can obviously use any brand you can easily find.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

TSM2018 wrote:The list of acrylic parts says perspex. Since this is going to be lasered, I can use ordinary acrylic from a home improvement store.
Yes.

Perplex is a brand name of acrylic and is a UK brand, but it is in fact just acrylic.

I have used acrylic from the box stores and in fact will be doing some today as well.

DO NOT laser plexiglass - that is NOT acrylic - and is NOT laser friendly.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Thanks for the assistance. I spent about 2.5 hours last night chasing the electrical components on the list.

My only stumbling block right now is that the supplier for the qty 2 Nema 17, 34x40x40 .9 mictostep JK42HM34-1334 isn't available in the UK ebay at the present time; no active auctions. I was not able to find the Stepper motor in the US. I have checked about 4 pages of google searches, and of course Ebay & Amazon in the US and UK, and while I can find the NEMA 17 .9 mictostep, I am not able to find the 34x40x40. Is the size and weight critical? I will not purchase or machine anything until I know I can order all of the electronic components. In many of the items on the list the same auctions had very similar ebay presentations of the item for sale, so China is tapping into both US & UK markets... It looks like Mr. Lin in California could make them for me, but he is probably going to require some huge order and I only need 2. I did not check Ali Baba in China, as I do not read or speak Chinese, and would fear the translation would be off.

I know I already own a CNC, but this is a great way for me to understand HOW a CNC is assembled and opens up my possibilities for maintaining, improving and adding to skills... and it just looks like fun to make... it is portable and I like the WOW factor. The local makerspace Laser did not like Lexan, but I called yesterday, and he remembered me and my yellowed Lexan, so ordinary acrylic it will be. I will look for PMMA and NO plexiglass. I have concluded after reviewing the files that there is waste in the material, so I used the vectric measuring tool, and calculated all the h x w and will cut my acrylic on our table saw before I go to the Makerspace - if this plan comes together. As of now, I decided not to CNC the acrylic because it has what I believe are part identifiers and that sounds like another separation of tool paths, for the bit change. I got that new acrylic router bit and gosh I am trying to find a way to use it! I would love to have an automatic tool changer, but that is probably NOT a financial reality in this life. Perhaps I'll splurge on a muscle chuck for my Porter Cable Router.

I saved everything to spreadsheet to help the next person if I get over this stumbling block and will be glad to share it if there is any interest, after I have received the order for all the items and can verify the vendors I selected delivered.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

As a registered Aspire owner, I sent an email to the DesignandMake email address on April 10, 2018. Does my Aspire Software Support include responding to questions about the Design & Make project? I sent the message from my registered email address for Aspire. I have found that we do have metric hardware at retailers; but I really do not want to buy anything without the stepper motor issue resolved. As I estimate this is approximately a $500 USD project Therefore, any suggestions from the DIY crowd in the Vectric Forum for finding,

qty 2 Nema 17, 34x40x40 .9 mictostep JK42HM34-1334?

Thanks -

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Post by davemartin88 »

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Thanks for the response. I will revisit the motor issue and start calling or emailing. Our other makerspace in the neighboring county looks a little more tech oriented, so I may have to visit the group and get some local assistance.

Tamra

DS3
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC

Post by DS3 »

Hi
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
Thank you for your recent contact through the Craft CNC site: I have sent a reply to your email too
Quick review of your questions:

I have added a few links for you to check over both for UK and US suppliers of nema motors.

Nema motors:
It is possible to purchase these motors here:
https://preview.tinyurl.com/ycxcsckf
https://tinyurl.com/ycaj9mbg
https://tinyurl.com/yca7qbu3
https://tinyurl.com/ydxb9t9s
The web locations for these motors do change from time to time however there seems to be many sites where these can be obtained.
The motors specified on the Craft CNC are a guide and the 1.8 steppers are also suitable, however the stepping of these motors needs to change when setting up the Grbl ini file on the Grbl control. Basically the .9 step motors have a finer step than the 1.8 however this can be changed in the (text) stepping ini file. Eg 0.9 stepper = 197 steps and the 1.8= 98.5 steps
o There is a choice of motor height too the 42 X42mm refers to the XY millimetre dimensions and the 34mm or 40mm refers to the Z height. The maximum height of the machine will accommodate both the 34mm the 40mm motor.
o The critical measurement for the motors is the 42x42 as these motors need to fit tightly into the motor cut out of acrylic sheet.

Perspex
• Perspex is a brand of acrylic sheet. If you speak to your local supplier, they will usually laser the larger sheets to the size required for your machine.

Answers to your questions 1 and 2

Control software:
• In the Vectric machining software there is a grbl postprocessor to use for the Craft CNC machine and there is a special Vectric software controller that we supply called ‘V Transfer. This is available to all Vectric software users to download and it will look for your current Vectric licence. This controller can be downloaded from the Craft CNC site from next week. This has only recently become available, so I will add the link to the Craft CNC site from next week.
• For anyone who doesn’t own any Vectric software there are many other third party free controllers that use our generic g-code postprocessor for toolpath generation.
The ‘ whats new’ updates Craft CNC
• This is where we add the changes or offer alternative options for the Craft CNC build.
• The power plug holder is for an alternative plug to the original so either of these holders can be used to suit the power plug you have.
• The stronger motor holders have been updated. The previous supports have been superseded to improve the operation of the machine.
• The updated blue prints layout enables 8.5 users to download the CRV files. (No change in panel layout)

I think this covers all the questions so far, however if you require any other info please let me know either in the forum or through Craft CNC.

Regards

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Leo wrote:DO NOT laser plexiglass - that is NOT acrylic - and is NOT laser friendly.
Fascinating, our laser cutter manufacturer sees no problem with cutting Plexiglas®: https://www.troteclaser.com/en-ca/appli ... lexiglass/

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Thanks DesignandMake for the response! I am looking forward to begin the acquisition process, and the first item on the list is the Stepper motors. I prefer the higher number of steps as I perceive that this will allow more detail in the carvings on the small machine. As a hobbyist, time is certainly relative; but saving nano seconds because I am trying to bill machine time isn't necessary for me; in my research the technology still seems only slightly relative from a 3 axis spatial perspective and the Design and Make CNC does have a small footprint. In other words I'm not convinced that there are differences for actual machining, the test would be to build 2 of them with different stepper motors, run the same detailed project and see if the results differ. I'll just buy more steps in my NEMA motors.

I have lasered Lexan purchased from Menard's Home improvement Store at my Makerspace; using a 50 or 60 watt 1416 Boss Laser; bad results; it turns it yellow. My DWC owners group informs me that lexan melts and gums up the bits; so I will be purchasing only cast acrylic, and I will call and verify it is truly cast before I place a large order for my supplies, and will do a test cut. Less cost to ship an 8x10 piece for a test cut, then a large order that I have to return. The sources I investigated for the acrylic appear to be less cost then purchasing at my local store; although I haven't tried to find a cast acrylic supplier where I can pick up the cast locally and skip the mail order costs. I may re do the layout and the nest features and cut on my CNC instead of spending the time at the makerspace. They will have to print my parts for me though, as I don't have a 3D printer. I purchased Lexan because the side of the display at Menard's inferred that the plastic is clearer for long term use and will not yellow; I think I remember it was 2 as much for a slightly larger piece then 8x10, but I thought more expensive has to be better; this was not the result with the makerspaces' Boss Laser. I visited the display this past weekend, I should have photographed it for my reference.

It may take me all summer to work on this, but if can do this, I would like to have it completed before the Chicago Users Group Meeting.