Designandmake DIY craft CNC

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Re: Designandmake DIY craft CNC

Post by TSM2018 »

There are 2 stl files in this project that are a filament mess.

The Gear Housing STL
https://github.com/DesignAndMake/CraftC ... ousing.stl

The Dremel Top Holder

https://github.com/DesignAndMake/CraftC ... juster.stl

It seems that it would be easier to mill the Gear Housing STL from aluminum

My simple view of a 3D printer where filament is extruded from a 0.4mm brass nozzle is that it needs a flat surface to build upon.
Neither of these items have flat surfaces.

I'm down to my last 3 parts and I don't know if I want to machine the dxf files as I cannot assemble without these three parts. I looked for a 3D printing forum and have not been successful in Groups.io and have a weird technical experience that the mfg's forum doesn't see my requests to join the forum.

Does anyone with a 3d printer have suggestions to print this file, or where I can send it to get printed?

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

I loaded the gear housing stl into Ultimaker Cura and it looks like it will print just fine with supports. If the dimensions of 70.3mmx42.0mmx26.8mm are correct, the software prediction is 33g of PLA+ filament. This includes the required supports for the surfaces that are not flat on the bed of the printer. Odd shapes require support and support uses more filament. PETG us usually more stringy than PLA+ and is also more flexible and is also a real pain to get rid of the strings after printing. Scrape and torch...

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Post by TSM2018 »

Rick, thanks for the reply. I was traveling when I posted this and work has been a time hog, but I brought my 3D printer home from work and its sitting in my Dining room right now, so it is time to play.

Last night I saw the ability to add support in Cura but it looks like little building blocks, so I think I will edit a support in tinkercad or it would be infinitely easier to edit it in Aspire. My Bossdelta 300 has the ability to print 2 spools / 2 colors....once I get past my continuous learning curve. I printed most of the parts in Atomic brand Crystal clear PLA, and planning to print the support in a different color so I know what I'm supposed to be removing. The first print resulted in a nest of pla stringy mess, but me being me, I took it to my disk sander and it looks ok; prefer to use a part that prints properly though. I'm not going to use my CNC on my cast acrylic until all the parts are printed..... just in case.

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

Try tree supports, less blocky and less material. In Cura 5.2.1 it is in the support tab. In older versions of Cura I think it is on the experimental tab.