problems with vectric 3d model...or could it be with Mach 3

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

mach3vectric

problems with vectric 3d model...or could it be with Mach 3

Post by mach3vectric »

Twice now, during a finish cut my machine has stopped, wihout any warning.
I'm cutting a tree from vector art 3d. I use Mach 3 and have had sucess in the past with the vectric 3d models.
In Mach 3, under "Status:" it say's, "Press Cycle Start for preperation move. Check spindle"....
If I do, will it continue from where it stopped without missing a step?
Is this a question for the Mach forum?
Can you help?
Don
tamediasd@yahoo.com

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: problems with vectric 3d model...or could it be with Mach 3

Post by kilrabit »

It sounds like a windows problem to me. Is this a longer cut than normal? Are you using a smoothstepper? If it happens again, you might go back 2 or 3 hundred lines of code and start from there, but you might check you zero coordinates first on the x y and z. If your zero's check out OK, go ahead and continue. Sometimes mach will be influenced by window background programs. It is a good idea to keep your CNC computer clean of background processes. Mach has an XP tweak on their site, to clean up the background processes.

Roy

Vectric Apprentice

Post by 820 »

I have first hand experience at this problem, one of my X axis limit switches is easy to snag with my jacket and shuts down my machine at the worst times. Clicking on "RESET" will give the message that you have posted. You can restart from the present position but pay attention to the z height if the spindle will be moving to a different location.
Are you hitting the "reset"? In the earlier days I would fail to raise the z to a safe height and cut a straight line back to the start point if the spindle is turning or just break off the bit if not.

Good Luck,
820 (RON)

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Picking up on what Ron has said above, do you have limit switches set up in "Ports and Pins"?

If so, then you may be getting false triggering due to electrical noise which is causing a reset.

Greg

mach3vectric

Post by mach3vectric »

Since then we have moved to Arizona
Thank you

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I know this is posted in the wrong spot, but when I was getting ready to post my problem I saw this one. The last 4 or 5 projects, about 85% though, for no reason the e-stop engages. I hit reset, start spindle, and it will continue at the spot it stopped. There's something in Mach 3 that I probably need to switch off or on, but I'm not sure where. The last time, I was cutting into foam with a 1/4 end mill @ 1/4" depth which is more than an easy cut, so I'm ruling out binding or external force. Gary

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

At this link at Artsoft, down the page under documentation. You will see a text file, which will show some of the things to optimize windows for Mach. Try a few of these out and see of it does not improve.

http://www.machsupport.com/downloads.php

Roy

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Gnarlymast

Do you have limit switches?

Most likely you are getting a limit false trigger due to electrical noise.

Got to General Config and try a value of 2000 in the debounce interval.

Greg

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Greg, the value of 2000 in the debounce interval was already set, but I just noticed about 1/2 dozen BB size bearings and a piece of plastic slide sitting on my spoil board, so I guess I do have some binding problems that causes the e-stop. Thanks for your help. Now I just need to find where I can get parts to replace the slide. Gary