How do I trim a molding

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

270mag
Model of CNC Machine: Shark SD 110

How do I trim a molding

Post by 270mag »

I'm trying to use Leaf Molding - 99-003-21.v3m as trim around the edges of a box. I want the molding to fit symmetrically at the corners, without overlap as shown in the image. I need to miter the moldings along the 45 degree line then discard the short ends. How do I do this? Note, I can't use the corresponding corner, Leaf Molding - Corner 1 - 99-003-22.v3m for this; I need to miter two moldings, and join them in the corner. Thanks.
Attachments
leaf moulding.jpg

skiltrade
Model of CNC Machine: built

Re: How do I trim a molding

Post by skiltrade »

howdy,

something like this?

[img]
Attachments
miter.jpg
miter.jpg

270mag
Model of CNC Machine: Shark SD 110

Post by 270mag »

YES! That's it. Please share.

skiltrade

Post by skiltrade »

Image2Bucks :D

well, it's not too complicated. Load your trim components and put in position - Seclect all and put vector around all. in toolpath choose the selected vectors
Attachments
20220419_214016.jpg
trim.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

270mag wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:09 pm
I need to miter the moldings along the 45 degree line then discard the short ends. How do I do this? Note, I can't use the corresponding corner
If this is what you want then the images posted aren’t quite what you are looking for as they are using decorative corners where the sides meet.

There is a feature called “Level Clipping” that allows you to define a vector that will mask off areas. For your piece you would make 4 trapezoidal shapes (one for each side) with 45 degree ends. These will then act as if you cut the ends of the moulding pieces off in a mitred corner. See Vectric Level Clipping Tutorial (10 minutes 38 seconds)

skiltrade

Post by skiltrade »

here's another option Image
Attachments
trim.jpg