Dark spots in photo vcarve

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Ole M
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M1000 with HiWin ball spindles

Dark spots in photo vcarve

Post by Ole M »

Hello, new to this forum, and completely new to photo vcarve.

Just did my first attempt, but have a question regarding some dark spots. Attached is the picture I used in photo vcarve, and one showing the issue spots, all the way along the border on the right side, especially by the hand. I can't really see these dark lines on the photo I was using, did I do something wrong, or is that just as good as it gets? I'm using the photo vcarve toolpath in my Vcarve Pro 11, don't know if it's different from the "standalone" photo vcarve.

The carving was done in white epoxy, and filled with black epoxy.
Attachments
image203.png
IMG_20211109_130718.jpg

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Dark spots in photo vcarve

Post by scotttarnor »

When I zoom in on your original photo the edges are pixelated, they look jagged, the software is probably also picking that up. From my experience you need a really clean high resolution photo for optimal results.
And yes Stand alone PhotoVcarve is different, it allows you to use a TBN rather than just a Vbit.
Scott T

@scottscnc

Ole M
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M1000 with HiWin ball spindles

Re: Dark spots in photo vcarve

Post by Ole M »

Ok, but for these line drawings, I'm not going to need to buy the standalone software then. Admittedly, I'm no photoshop genius, so the background was just removed with some free online stuff. I can see it's pixelated, but doesn't seem dark. The dark spots are also not an issues around the hair for example.
Are there more settings to tweak in the standalone software, besides just using a ballnose?

Looking at the original photo, it was taken on a dark couch, with a white wall behind. All the dark spots are where the couch was, further up, where the white wall was removed, theres nothing. So even though I can't see it, theres probably still some leftover background :(

Anyways, it will still serve as a christmas present, besides those dark spots by the edges, it came out great!