stand alone photovcarve vs vcarve desktop photovcarve

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
JOJO
Model of CNC Machine: SHAPEOKO XXL

stand alone photovcarve vs vcarve desktop photovcarve

Post by JOJO »

I have the newest stand alone photovcarve as well as the one in the new vcarve desktop. is there a lot of differences? Also I have the Shapeoko post processor in desktop but don't find it in stand alone version? Is there a way to copy and paste from one program to the other? I just started using the programs. I bought the stand alone photovcarve before is was included in vcarve desktop ( be nice to get some credit for the stand alone photovcarve to upgrade to vcarve pro).

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: stand alone photovcarve vs vcarve desktop photovcarve

Post by scotttarnor »

If I am doing a photo that I want to look like a photo I use my stand alone photoVcarve, save the file and import it in to Aspire for setting up the material and generating the gcode. I love the results! The major difference (I believe) is being able to select bits other than a vbit.
Attachments
D78D943B-39D7-455F-8949-3AAAF4BC7B4F.jpeg
581FCAE1-D76E-4BEE-94F6-8616A7EB7706.jpeg
AFEE803A-AFD3-474C-BE79-BBA88B2C62FA.jpeg
Scott T

@scottscnc

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: stand alone photovcarve vs vcarve desktop photovcarve

Post by Adrian »

Yes the biggest single difference to the actual toolpath is that the VCarve version only works with v-bits.

PhotoVCarve is a much older program than VCarve so there are nowhere near as many post processors available for it. If you have VCarve then there isn't much need to actually save code from PhotoVCarve as you can import the PhotoVCarve file into VCarve and output the code from there. That works even when using bits that the toolpath in VCarve doesn't support.

You can move a post processor from one to the other but it's quite awkward to do because of the location of the files in PhotoVCarve and you have to remove all the sections of the post processor that PhotoVCarve doesn't understand.

I would have thought there would be a PhotoVCarve specific post processor available on the Shapeoko forums though?