Using Photo V Carve in Aspire

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Coit
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Standard 48x96

Using Photo V Carve in Aspire

Post by Coit »

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'm trying to Vcarve the attached picture using Aspire. The view is across my front yard.
TREE.jpg
I import the picture, run a bitmap trace function, (converting the picture into a CRV3D file - Aspire format?), delete the picture from the file, keeping the resulting trace. Then the entire computer locks up when I try to run a tool path.

The Aspire file is too large to attach, it's almost 31 Mb.

Can anyone help me figure how to carve this picture? Thank you in advance.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: Using Photo V Carve in Aspire

Post by Bob Reda »

If you are trying to do a photo v carve you don't need to convert it to a vector file. Just import the file do the line spacing and depth, enter the bit and go. If you are trying to do a v carve, its a little more complicated than pressing a button and going. It probably won't trace well in which case you would have to clean it up or manually draw the vectors and I don't have the time to go through it right now. Best if you look at the tutorials and go through them. Would be a good one to start with

Bob

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Have you tried using the Photo V-Carve Toolpath?
Attachments
Image 894.png
John
Maker of Chips

Coit
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Standard 48x96

Post by Coit »

I think I misstated the question. I'm not trying to photo v-carve. I have been trying to v-carve the picture.

Bob, I went through the tutorial to get as far as I did. Perhaps there is a thread on how to clean up the picture for v-carving it?

On the other hand, Highpockets, your photo v-carve looks much better than what I can see after running the cut file. i'll have to photo v-carve it on a piece of wood and see what happens.

Thanks for the patience!

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

Coit,
I ran your picture through to see what it would look like and to be honest, the best thing to do is start over. There were very few useable vectors. It would definitely need to be gone over and new vectors made. You can get a good look by deselecting the bitmap layer after you do it to see what you really got. V carve is trying to clear out the whole area, that is why the file is so big, you were probably trying to do it with a v bit. I thought you were trying to Photo v carve it like Highpockets showed. I think that would be the best way to go for this pic.

Bob