Suggestions needed for PhotoVcarve

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
tim sewald
Model of CNC Machine: router

Suggestions needed for PhotoVcarve

Post by tim sewald »

Hello All,

I just upgraded to Vcarve Pro v 10 and would like to start Photo Carving. My machine is a ShopSabre 23. Could someone please share thoughts on proper cutters (perhaps a set of cutters) cut strategies, depths, speeds feed etc?

Any and all comments welcome.

Tim

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Suggestions needed for PhotoVcarve

Post by scotttarnor »

If you are using VCarve Pro you will be using the Photo V-carve tool path which is different than using the stand alone PhotoVcarve application. In V-Carve pro you are currently limited to V bits only, in the stand alone app you can select BN's, V bits or engraving bits.
As far as settings I find myself tweeking them with every different photo in PhotoVcarve it all depends on the amount of detail you are going for and that the photo will allow(I spend a lot of time editing the photo to change the result. The one I attached I had to color the teeth down a few shades because they were so white they stuck out considerably further than the faces did).
Attachments
IMG_1772.jpeg
Scott T

@scottscnc

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Hey, scotttarnor...I see you've had great results with photo vcarving. Incredible, actually. My results aren't so good. Not even close. Not even in the ballpark.

I have VCarve Desktop v10.5 with the Photo V-Carve toolpath strategy, a CNC Piranha, and a nice 3/4 inch cherry board. I'm using depth of 0.12 inches, a 30-degree v-bit, hatch pattern at 100% line spacing and 45 degree angle. Carved picture size of about 5X7 or so. It's not working well. When the second set of lines in the cross hatch are carved, they're chipping out the ridges of the first set of lines carved in the other direction.

Would you be willing to share the settings you used for the picture you posted in this thread for bit, depth, line spacing, etc? Of course, the settings depend on the picture involved, the type of material, etc. But your settings may help us with a starting point or baseline. Also, did you paint/stain or otherwise apply additional finish to the picture?

I suspect that my depth is too deep and my line spacing too close. Maybe I should even be using a 60 degree bit instead of 30 degree.

What do you think?
I want to be unique like everyone else.

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Hi there rink. Let me jump in here with some conclusions I have come up with over time. I have never had any good results using the cross hatch option. But I have not spent much time working with that either. The main problem is, as you have witnessed, chipping out of the wood. If I were to try and work with cross hatching again I believe I'd start with 50% line spacing and see how that goes. In my humble opinion you are right on track with your line spacing and depth of cut settings being to high. I would suggest 70 - 80% and .060 depth to start with. I have never used a 30 degree bit for photo Vcarving but I suspect you might be better off using a 45 or 60 degree bit. I have found lighter colored and harder wood works best for me and my requirements and expectations but to each his own. Maple is my go to choice for achieving the most detail and giving me the most consistent results. Final finishing for me usually amounts to applying a sealing coat of shellac first to prevent bleeding of a colorant ( stain or paint ) into grain which can muddy up the light colored areas of the photo. When the colorant is dry then a light sanding will bring out the contrast.

Hope this helps a little and good luck.
Ed

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Hello Rink, I use the standalone Photo V carve app to do my photos so I have the option to use a TBN to carve it. I have attached a photo of my typical settings(feed rate is not correct, I usually use 100IPM), Like Ed stated I also never use the cross hatch option.
Attachments
Photo Vcarve settings
Photo Vcarve settings
Scott T

@scottscnc