Photo VCarve wont let me calculate & preview

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
luckyjsw
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve XL

Photo VCarve wont let me calculate & preview

Post by luckyjsw »

I watched the V-10 tutorial video "PhotoVCarve Strategy - 2.5D Toolpaths". In the film, the lady imported a bitmap image and then used it to demonstrate all the variable options used in Photo VCarve.

She did NOT "Trace Bitmap", simply used the imported bitmap.

I have Vectric Desktop. I am trying to use a jpg photograph to make a Photo VCarve, but when I try to calculate and preview the results, I keep getting error messages like "A suitable vector is not selected", or "You must select a single imported bitmap for this operation". I want to use the "Selected Vectors" option, but I am not able to get past the error message and request for bitmaps or vectors.

I have been trying to find an answer for hours and i give up! Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

(PS: I have the bitmap image selected while this is going on.)

mebell
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-Shark

Re: Photo VCarve wont let me calculate & preview

Post by mebell »

You do not have any vectors to select so if you are not going to create vectors then select the bitmap and check the bitmap choice for calculation of the toolpath. If you create the needed vectors then you can calculate the toolpath using the vectors and it will carve along those vectors where they cross the bitmap.

luckyjsw

Post by luckyjsw »

Is there any way to change my image to a vector other than tracing the bitmap? The lady in the training video ( "PhotoVCarve Strategy - 2.5D Toolpaths". ) did nothing to change her image from jpg that I saw, yet she was able to use the selected vectors option.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It all depends on the look you're going for. The Raster and Hatch options don't need any vectors as they work purely off the bitmap itself.

For the selected vectors option you have to generate a vector pattern that is then "draped" over the picture for the toolpath to use. Becky explains this at 17:30 onwards in the video using the Vector Texture tool.

Tracing the bitmap is a totally different thing. That produces vectors that can be used by the v-carve/engraving toolpath and, with slight modifications, the profile toolpath. The bitmap itself is redundant by that point as those toolpaths do not use a bitmap.

If you just want a straight photovcarve toolpath of a bitmap then use the raster option. If you need to exclude certain parts of the picture or change it's shape with a border vector etc then you need to use the Crop Bitmap tool first.

luckyjsw

Post by luckyjsw »

My first time at this forum and I am impressed with the response. I get it now!

Thanks all.