Does the VCarve pro update 10 make this program obsolete?

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
loopacrylics
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer

Does the VCarve pro update 10 make this program obsolete?

Post by loopacrylics »

Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to read my question.
I've really liked what this software does. I've played with it for a while and decided since it wasn't so expensive I may as well break down and get it. However their has recently been an update to Vcarve pro which adds "Photo VCarving Toolpath Strategy." Since I already have the software I was curious if Photo Vcarve is even worth getting or if this new update to Vcarve Pro made it completely obsolete?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Does the VCarve pro update 10 make this program obsolete

Post by Adrian »

The one thing that the photovcarve toolpath in VCarve can't do is toolpaths that use anything other than a v-bit.

ChrisG
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 Extended Bed

Post by ChrisG »

Has anyone inquired as to why there is the change? Or if there is a work around?I thought I was losing my mind when I was trying to add a ballnose cutter to the photovcarve toolpath.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It isn't a change. The photovcarve toolpath in VCarve has never supported anything other than a v-bit.

See this thread - http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32869 - I suspect Xxray is right.

wstrong
Model of CNC Machine: work bee

Re: Does the VCarve pro update 10 make this program obsolete?

Post by wstrong »

Nope, the vcarve version 10 doesn't have the color picker, to make a color transparent, a feature I use all the time.

other issues with vcarve 10 I don't like. with version 9 I could import a PhotoVcarve file and position,make it bigger or smaller and have the associated PVC toolpath cut it the size and in the position I put it.
In version 10,I can import the pvc file but I can only position it, I haven't been able to make it bigger or smaller on my windows 7 64 bit machine. what worked in version 9 doesn't do anything for me in version 10. my cure is to see if i can reinstall version 9 on my computer.

so I still use PVC

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Does the VCarve pro update 10 make this program obsolete?

Post by gregk »

wstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm
Nope, the vcarve version 10 doesn't have the color picker, to make a color transparent, a feature I use all the time.
One use case for using transparent color in PVC was to pick the lightest color (perhaps white) so it is excluded from the toolpath. There is not need for that in V10 since whiteish colors are treated as transparent by default.
Moreover in V10 it should be possible to achieve the same effect as transparent color picker in PVC, by actually making part of the image transparent prior to creating a toolpath.
Depending on the use case you can do one of the following
  • Use built-in picture editor to add transparent border;
  • Use image crop tool with an appropriate vector (vector can come from trace bitmap tool);
  • Use external graphics editor to make transparent area, save in format that supports transparency(e.g. PNG) and import in VCP.
Could you let us know if any of those options are applicable in your scenario? I understand that process in VCP may involve more steps than in PVC, but we may always investigate adding extra tools to the built-in image editor in future versions. We always welcome all suggestions from our users as your feedback helps us improve workflow and features.
wstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm
other issues with vcarve 10 I don't like. with version 9 I could import a PhotoVcarve file and position,make it bigger or smaller and have the associated PVC toolpath cut it the size and in the position I put it.
In version 10,I can import the pvc file but I can only position it, I haven't been able to make it bigger or smaller on my windows 7 64 bit machine. what worked in version 9 doesn't do anything for me in version 10. my cure is to see if i can reinstall version 9 on my computer.
Could you contact support@vectric.com please, so we can look into that for you?

Greg K