Cut depth and coloring a Photo VCarve?

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
firstshot425
Model of CNC Machine: Will be custom built by me

Cut depth and coloring a Photo VCarve?

Post by firstshot425 »

I'm new to Photo VCarve as it was just added as an upgrade to VCarve Desktop. I just carved my first Photo VCarve piece (See pic below) and was expecting a little bit more detail. I used a 30 degree VBit at a cut depth of .1", max number of lines, and 45 degree hatch cut angle and the carving was done in Maple.

What is the best VBit size to be using and at what cut depth?
What is the best method for coloring the carved piece so that the pic shows up better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Doug

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Re: Cut depth and coloring a Photo VCarve?

Post by GEdward »

The version of Photo VCarve included with VCarve Desktop and Pro is not the same as the full stand alone version which has more latitude with line spacing; at least for now. It sounds like there may be some changes coming soon in that area. With that said, there really is no best V bit size or spacing as that depends on a number of factors. To be honest I kind of like how your first attempt came out. But there is room for improvement. For starters .1 inch max depth is kind of deep IMHO. You are on the right track to keep your line spacing as close as possible to achieve the most detail. I have never used the cross hatch option but it seems to me that you can easily end up with more material removed than is necessary to get good results. But I can't know for sure as I said, I have not tried it. Since you did use maple you have minimized one common problem and that is bleeding of your colorant into the grain and areas that are not desired. If that becomes or is an issue then you will need to seal the project before you color it. By sealing before you color you also get the benefit of being able to wick up your excess colorant if you get carried away. For colorant I have used acrylic paint and even wood stain with fair success. In fact many times you can benefit from sealing the wood BEFORE you cut it as well. What that does is to help keep the cut lines nice and crisp.

I hope that others with more experience than I will jump in here with some tips and tricks to help you along as well.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

GEdward wrote:The version of Photo VCarve included with VCarve Desktop and Pro is not the same as the full stand alone version which has more latitude with line spacing; at least for now.
The current version (10.011) lets you put any value you like for the line spacing. You just have to enter it rather than using the slider.

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

GEdward wrote: It sounds like there may be some changes coming soon in that area.
Thanks Adrian, that is the change I was alluding to. I knew it was in the works but did not know 10.011 was already out and addressed that.

Can you tell me if the VCarve 10 version of Photo VCarve has the invert light/dark areas?

Thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

GEdward wrote: Can you tell me if the VCarve 10 version of Photo VCarve has the invert light/dark areas?
It's done by using the Picture Editor in VCarve.

Jhodge76
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by Jhodge76 »

On a side note that dog picture came out pretty good. I like it.

Michael852
Model of CNC Machine: 6040Z

Post by Michael852 »

I agree that the cross hatch can chip out too much material. I have had good results and not so good results, it's a matter of trial and error sometimes. There is a considerable difference between the two programmes but I have had success with both. I use a light coloured material eg. radiata pine and seal after carving and use a suitable colour to bring out detail. I select a portrait with very little over riding back ground or remove the background completely. I use a 60deg v bit with a depth varying from 1.00mm to 1.5mm. I use a ball nose bit for relief carving. I hope that will help you.