Tapered ballnose bit

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
wcw7398
Model of CNC Machine: X Carve 1000

Tapered ballnose bit

Post by wcw7398 »

I want to add a tapered ballnose bit to my PVC tool database. I understand how to do it, however it is not a tool type that appears in the drop down list. Of course because of that I can't enter the proper geometry, ie the taper angle. Is there some reason for this, or is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tapered ballnose bit

Post by Adrian »

Tapered ballnoses aren't a supported tool type in PVC. They came into Vectric products in later versions and PVC hasn't been updated in quite a while. To be honest with the type of toolpath work that is usually done with PVC and ballnoses the fact that it's tapered doesn't really matter so you can enter it as a straight tool.

wcw7398

Post by wcw7398 »

Thanks for that. I'll give it try. I've been carving lithophanes with some success but have been using a v bit with a 20degree angle and a small flat on the point. Just thought I'd try out a ballnose and see what happens. As prolific and thorough as Vectric is it's a little surprising they haven't uptated to accommodate a ballnose, since it's already done in Vcarve. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I have only ever used tapered ball nose bits for lithos and just enter .125 for what I use, never thought about the lack of fine tuning options but mine have come out fine.
Doug

wcw7398

Post by wcw7398 »

That's great. I'll do that