size

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
oginok
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 extended

size

Post by oginok »

Hi,
brand new to PVC and forums.(first post) Here it is, I've got pic ready to carve, post it, load it, and where my size was supposed to be about 4.0 in. x 4.5 in., program runs pic about .125 square. maddening. What am I missing?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: size

Post by mtylerfl »

Are you swapping inches for millimeters?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

oginok

Post by oginok »

don't think so.. on PVC lower right says 4.461 x 4.0 inches and shows toolpath across pic and g code reflects one instance of approx. 3 in movement.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Check that you are using the correct post processor and that your controller is set for inches too.

I still think somehow your inch dimensions are being converted to millimeters somewhere along the way from software to Machining.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

oginok

Post by oginok »

thanks, Just checked my controller to see if it is reading g-code in mm. need to get on a hardware forum to see how to toggle between mm and inches as I saw no control over that. I'm sticking with it untill I get a solution and your feedback I consider invaluable, so THANK YOU again.

oginok

Post by oginok »

I was using wrong PP. IT WORKED Not the best result, but I know what to do to make better. Thanks again

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

I’m very happy to hear you got it sorted. Happy Carving!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

hodad
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Post by hodad »

I am having the issue of photovcarve engraving an area about .25" square when the work piece is set to run at 5"x5". The problem is not size setting for the work.

I think the problem is related to the pp. I have a shark hd4. There is no pp in the list that represents my machine. I tried to download the pp for my machine from the axiom precision site and followed the directions to the letter. Three attempts to download the pp produced no results for the pp showing up in the list. I even went as far as to reboot my computer each time just in case that is what was needed for the pp to show in list.

Frustrated with $150 program, I decided to try assigning some of the others in the list with a .tap extension. All of those that read produced same results by engraving a .25" square.

Any ideas? about to do some skeet shooting with the disk. Thank you in advance

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Where did you install the PP? PhotoVCarve is different from the other Vectric programs. It has to be installed in the Program Files/PhotoVCarve/PostP folder. You will need administrator rights to copy a file there.

If you have a Shark HD4 why use the Axiom post processors? I thought Next Wave made the Shark machines?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

hodad wrote:I tried to download the pp for my machine from the axiom precision site and followed the directions to the letter.
Could you post the link to the web-page were you downloaded that post-processor and where the instructions that you followed are?

hodad

Post by hodad »

This is the link to the Axiom site and page that I downloaded the photovcarve pp from... https://www.axiomprecision.com/photo-vcarve.html Scroll down the page to view the instructions.

I installed in Program Files/PhotoVCarve/PostP folder. I have also copied the shark pp there as well. Both show up in the folder, but not in the photovcarve drop down list. I have closed out the program and reopened as instructed for pp to be visible in the drop down menu, but neither one is there. I rebooted computer as well and nothing is in menu.

I cannot even find a pp of any type on the Next Wave site. They sell the software for photovcarve, but I do not see any links for a pp of any sort. Unless I am not looking in the right place. Any other searches from various forums that have posted links yield page not found results. That is how I ended up on the Axiom site and thought I would attempt to install from there as one would think if Next Wave sells the photovcarve software then there would be comparability.

hodad

Post by hodad »

Additionally, The software is purchased and not a trail version

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You could try the one in this thread as I expect it would be the same as PhotoVCarve pp's are very simple - http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30140

Or any of the Shark ones for PVC from here - https://www.nextwaveautomation.com/downloads-links

Note that when you've installed the pp and you're looking for it in the list it's not the same name as the file. The name displayed comes from the name within the PP.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Adrian wrote:The name displayed comes from the name within the PP.
...and that name appears to be: AXIOM HHC CNC (mm) (*.mmg)

hodad

Post by hodad »

...and that name appears to be: AXIOM HHC CNC (mm) (*.mmg)
That is one that I attempted to install off the Axiom site. I have been in touch with Axiom. Axiom is saying because I purchased through Next Wave, my software may be locked. That may explain why I was not granted admin rights to download from Next Wave. I am still waiting for a confirmation email for registering the software.