size of carve in trial version

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
cargo115
Model of CNC Machine: piranha FX

size of carve in trial version

Post by cargo115 »

Hey everyone. I have downloaded the trial version of PhotoVcarve to see if I like it. I must be doing something wrong because even though everything appears ok on the set up screen, it will only carve an image about the size of a postage stamp!! Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks, Mike

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: size of carve in trial version

Post by dwilli9013 »

sounds like you might need to switch over to inches instead of millimeters.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

cargo115
Model of CNC Machine: piranha FX

Post by cargo115 »

That's what it acts like but I have double checked and I have inches selected. I am baffled

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Perhaps the Trial version won't permit carving a full size version of a file you created? You can check with support@vectric.com to find out for sure.

Did the Trial version come with sample files? If so, you should be able to carve the samples.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The trial versions will only allow you to carve the sample files. They won't save the code at all for a user created file.

It definitely sounds like a metric/imperial issue (assuming the machine has been properly calibrated to start with). Which post processor are you using when outputting the code? Is it in inches? Is your machine configured for inches?

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Post by redandbon »

Adrian wrote:The trial versions will only allow you to carve the sample files. They won't save the code at all for a user created file.

It definitely sounds like a metric/imperial issue (assuming the machine has been properly calibrated to start with). Which post processor are you using when outputting the code? Is it in inches? Is your machine configured for inches?
Actually, I have had success carving my own created files in the trial version, but the images are all watermarked. Still useful for learning though.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello,

Looking at your forum profile, you may be using a Next Wave Piranha machine tool,
if this is the case the (inch) post processor that you will need to use, is the "CNCPiranha (inch) (*.tap)" one.
(I have attached it to this reply).
If you are using a standard G-Code post processor the output size will not be correct.

Please copy the attached file to the "PostP" folder of PhotoVCarve trial edition.

This is usually located at "C\Program Files (x86)\PhotoVCarve Trial\PostP"
(Assuming a 64 bit edition of Microsoft Windows).

Once you have copied the new post processor, exit the application and restart it.
The new post processor will be labelled as "CNCPiranha (inch) (*.tap)" in the list of post processors.
Please give this a try with your machine.

As redandbon has mentioned, the trial edition of PhotoVCarve is a little different to the other product trial editions,
in as much as it will let you machine your own photographs, to whichever size that you wish.
Your own photographs will be machined with a watermark.

I hope that this helps.
Attachments
CNCPiranha_inch.pp
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

mkalsow
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL

Post by mkalsow »

I had to add a 'G20' (inches vs. metric) to the top of the program for my sample version cuts.