1st pvc try

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
drrobin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Handibot

1st pvc try

Post by drrobin »

Last night I tried my first PVC. I pocketed my material then try to cut the pic. I have it set for 0.2 on the cut. When it was done, there were only a couple of scratches on the material. I had zeroed my z axis (and x,y)...any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? I had the z axis almost on the board since I had tried before and thought I might have zeroed too high. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Robin

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Re: 1st pvc try

Post by rsetina »

Make sure your material is flat to the plane of the bit. I had the same problem when one end of my material was lower than the z zero.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

drrobin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by drrobin »

I pocketed the area to ensure it was flat. Is there something different/more I should do? When you zero the z, do you put it 'on' the material or just above as explained?

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

One method to manually zero a bit is to measure a piece of paper with a caliper, then lay the paper on the surface. With one hand continuously slide the paper back and forth while lowering the bit in small increments with the other.

Once you feel the resistance of the bit pressing against the paper, remove the paper and lower the bit by the amount you measured earlier. You are now zeroed.

Im assuming yo zeroed your bit after you cut the pocket?
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When you zero your z axis the bit should be in contact with the material not just above it, as Mobius has said did you re zero your machine after cutting your pocket? You should have set the zero at the new lower level that you pocketed to.

drrobin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by drrobin »

Yes, I zeroed after pocketing-made sure my pocketing included the entire section to be vcarved. Tried again yesterday, pocketed, zeroed off the new pocketed plane (put the bit right on the material)...still had a few vcarve scratches on the left hand side of the project after finishing, otherwise, nothing seen.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It often helps the experts on the forum to help if you can include the file or if that isn't possible a screen shot of your settings may help them get to the bottom of your problem.
I didn't get very good results in wood myself when I was trying to learn how this is done so put it to one side until I had more time to sit & play & still haven't got back round to trying again.

drrobin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by drrobin »

Here's my pic and settings!! Thanks
Attachments
pic and toolpath
pic and toolpath

weber765
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built and modified Vytek rebel

Post by weber765 »

It sounds to me like your starting surface could be out. When you cut your pocket how deep are you cutting the pocket ? Is it possible that the depth of cut might be pulling your cutter out of the collet causing 1 side of the pocket to be deeper than the opposite side of pocket ? I usually skin the top surface about .015 prior to photo carving with a 1/2 router bit and get a good flat surface. I looked at your settings and it appears that they should cut fine provide that you have a good shape pointed tool. I use a 60 deg. cutter myself but 90 deg. should be fine.
Glenn

drrobin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by drrobin »

Thanks I will tighten the vbit. Just got a 60 degree and will try it as well. Appreciate the help. I pocketed 1/8 inch...