Adding a Post processor

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
sc.crab
Model of CNC Machine: prs standard

Adding a Post processor

Post by sc.crab »

Vectric sent me a file to add to my PVC PP and I added it to my design computer which is windows 7 and everything worked fine but when I tried to add it to the computer that runs my shopbot it would not work which this computer is windows 8 (which I hate) is there something different to do on windows 8?
This is how I tried to do it.
( downloaded the previously attached file and save it into C:\Program Files (x86)\PhotoVCarve\PostP)

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Adding a Post processor

Post by PaulRowntree »

Did you restart PVC ?
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When you say it doesn't work what do you mean by that? Do you mean it's not in the list? The name displayed in the list isn't the name of the file it's the name defined at the top of the PP file itself so you may not be spotting it in the list.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 don't like users copying items in the Program Files area for security reasons. When you did the copy where you prompted to do it as an Administrator.

sc.crab

Post by sc.crab »

Adrian wrote:When you say it doesn't work what do you mean by that? Do you mean it's not in the list? The name displayed in the list isn't the name of the file it's the name defined at the top of the PP file itself so you may not be spotting it in the list.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 don't like users copying items in the Program Files area for security reasons. When you did the copy where you prompted to do it as an Administrator.
When I did it on the computer with windows7 everything worked fine but with windows 8 I could never get it to load in the pp drop down list. It is probably some thing a little different in 8 that I'm missing.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You probably have different User Account Control settings on the Windows 8 machine compared to the Windows 7 machine. That's the part of Windows that doesn't like users putting files into the Program Files area.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Don't try to load the PP into the file directory. I'm not sure about Photo V Carve but in Aspire you can load it from the menu bar. I would imagine you can do the same. Select File then Open Application Data Folder. Drag the PP you want into the PostP folder. Then restart the program.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

PhotoVCarve is a much older program and doesn't have that facility. It's Post Processors are stored in the Program Files area rather than a separate area like the more recent versions of Cut2D and VCarve/Aspire.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Thanks Adrian, I wasn't sure if that function was available but though I would mention it if it was. I am able to use it with Windows 8.1/Aspire.

In that case my question to SC Crab is were you able to find and open the fold C:\Program Files (x86)\PhotoVCarve\PostP. If so I would try to shut Photo V Carve and drag the PP into that location.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

sc.crab

Post by sc.crab »

I never got it to work with windows 8 so i have just been using my old computer with windows 7 , might try messing with it tonight.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Just tried it on my Windows 8 machine. Copied the PP in using Windows and got a prompt that I had to provided Administrator permissions to which I clicked Continue. I then started PhotoVCarve and the new PP was there.

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Post by Rubiconlwb »

I recently upgraded to Ver 10.5 of VCarve Desktop and lost the CNC Piranha laser post processor so downloaded it from the website and placed it in the appropriate folder, restarted VCarve and it was back in the list. I was told that Next Wave had supplied a post processor that worked for both carving and laser burning but I tried it and it would not fire up the laser. Using the old post processor worked fine so I guess I am back in business again. This was a very frustrating process but hopefully the problem is now solved.

rod409
Model of CNC Machine: SaintSmart 3018 pro

Post by rod409 »

I have vcarve desktop 10.5, and when I need to add a post processor, I open toolpaths and select install a post processor. Not sure on older versions.