Wood photo prep

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
ljd10

Wood photo prep

Post by ljd10 »

is it possible for somebody to post an exceptable wood prep used before carving and some idea of finishing procedures?
I realize tool size and depth has a great deal to do with the out come of the carving but the preperation before carving is just as important and I can't seem to find any consistant procedure provided. I guess Im not able to learn by osmosis. any thankyou for any enlightment.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: Wood photo prep

Post by Bob Reda »

I am sure there are as many methods as there are people. What I do is to use a wood without too much grain, the harder the better. I sand it to at least 220 and apply one coat of zinser sealcoat. I then resand to 220 and apply at least two coats of water base topcoat, sanding lighty between coats. After the engraving, I apply at least 2 coats of sealcoat, followed by a glaze color, let set, sand, and apply finish coat. Thats how I do it and like I said there will probably be a 100 ways of doing it.

Bob

ljd10

Post by ljd10 »

I really thankyou for the come back. It gives me a place to start.-thankyou

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

I also try to do the finish cut across the grain of the wood, or at an angle of the grain, helps eliminate tear out on the small details.

Roy